What is a single/double sided M.2 PCIE SSD (980 pro)

marat569
Go to solution Solved by bmx6454,

it's single sided

So I ordered a 980 pro, and was reading my mobo's manual until I got to this page, which mentioned something about single sided and double sided m.2 drives

Pic:

U6e9iwg.png

Is the Samsung 980 pro single or double? Do I need those pads?

Mobo: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 LGA 1700 -- Instruction manual the pic was taken from: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/PRIME_Z690-P_D4/E18744_PRIME_Z690-P_D4_UM_WEB.pdf

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, marat569 said:

So I ordered a 980 pro, and was reading my mobo's manual until I got to this page, which mentioned something about single sided and double sided m.2 drives

Pic:

U6e9iwg.png

Is the Samsung 980 pro single or double? Do I need those pads?

Mobo: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 LGA 1700 -- Instruction manual the pic was taken from: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/PRIME_Z690-P_D4/E18744_PRIME_Z690-P_D4_UM_WEB.pdf

Thank you!

Double sided means that there are chips on both sides, vice-versa for single sided M.2 drives.

As far as I know the factor that decides whether or not your drive will be single or double sided is the capacity

Just now, _icy_ said:

Double sided means that there are chips on both sides, vice-versa for single sided M.2 drives.

As far as I know the factor that decides whether or not your drive will be single or double sided is the capacity

So is the 980 pro single or double? I'm not really good with this sort of stuff, I just play "adult legos" -- buy parts and stick em in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GLX7TNT/

1 minute ago, _icy_ said:

Single sided

Just now, bmx6454 said:

it's single sided

So do I need to deal with those little rubber pads the manual is talking about? Never heard of anything like it before.

Just now, marat569 said:

So is the 980 pro single or double? I'm not really good with this sort of stuff, I just play "adult legos" -- buy parts and stick em in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GLX7TNT/

As @_icy_said, it's about capacity. It's entirely possible that some capacities of the 980 Pro may be single side and some may be double sided. You'll normally only see double sided for capacities of 2TB of larger. In other words, you can't just say it is or isn't one or the other. Depends on what capacity you buy and how they happened to layout the board.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

As @_icy_said, it's about capacity. It's entirely possible that some capacities of the 980 Pro may be single side and some may be double sided. You'll normally only see double sided for capacities of 2TB of larger. In other words, you can't just say it is or isn't one or the other. Depends on what capacity you buy and how they happened to layout the board.

1tb

Just now, marat569 said:

So do I need to deal with those little rubber pads the manual is talking about? Never heard of anything like it before.

Yes as it's part of the heatsink installation