External SSD gaming

Willx
Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,

Right now, any external SSD will still give you faster speeds than games can utilize. You don't need more than SATA, so 500MB/s+ is going to be as good as having an internal SSD for that use case.

Once DirectStorage starts making its way into games (which is still a ways off), you won't be able to take advantage of that, but there's no current external SSDs that would. The absolute fastest are limited to around 2000MB/s, and you'll need roughly twice that.

Maybe in the future, when USB4 comes out, we'll start to see faster external SSDs, but for the moment, it doesn't matter, because anything you buy today will be good enough for today, but not good enough for then.

I bought the Razer blade 15 base edition with only 512 gb storage. I find myself here unable to have more than 2 games at the same time on the laptop since the drive is too small. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to increase the storage and I thought maybe an  external SSD would do it. As mentionned, I need storage, but its also for gaming so i need some speed . Any suggestions ? I'm in Canada.

Some might think im stupid for buying a gaming laptop, but it was a conpromise between gaming and demanding school softwares as well as durability

Thanks guys

Maybe if the external SSD uses thunderbolt interface.
Not sure if true USB-C interface is enough.

Not gonna shame you for gaming laptop, each person's needs, preferences, & circumstance differs.

Links that you might find helpful :
https://mysupport.razer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3989/~/how-to-upgrade-the-storage-on-the-razer-blade

and

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Right now, any external SSD will still give you faster speeds than games can utilize. You don't need more than SATA, so 500MB/s+ is going to be as good as having an internal SSD for that use case.

Once DirectStorage starts making its way into games (which is still a ways off), you won't be able to take advantage of that, but there's no current external SSDs that would. The absolute fastest are limited to around 2000MB/s, and you'll need roughly twice that.

Maybe in the future, when USB4 comes out, we'll start to see faster external SSDs, but for the moment, it doesn't matter, because anything you buy today will be good enough for today, but not good enough for then.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

So any interface is okay ? Here's what I have on my laptop :

2. Thunderbolt™ 4 (USB-C)

3. USB Type-A

7. USB Type-C

Which one should I look for ?

ports laptop.png