sugestions to workaround laptop lid closed sensor when converting to desktop

hi 

not sure this is the right place to post this, i just saw modding and thought well i gues thats hat im doing

so 

I have an old laptop with a rather broken screen and thought that if i removed the screen i could plug it into an external monitor and use it as a desktop of sorts with the touchpad and keyboard intact 

the only problem is that the laptop needs to detect that the lid is shut in order to automaticly display to the external monitor via the hdmi port. the obvious soloution is to take the magnet from inside the screen and glue it above the sensor to make it always asume that the lid is shut. however this particular laptop is smarter that that and will not power on with the lid "shut" and requires that the lid is "open" when the power button is pressed but closed within the next 3 secconds to ensure that it displays on the external monitor. 

my soloution to this that i tested with a basic desktop powersupply was to use a small electromagnet made from a short screw and some enameled copper wire that would turn on a seccond after the power button was pressed to trick the system into beliving that the lid was closed moments after the power button was pressed. 

to power this small electromagnet i noticed that the fan powered on a seccond after the power button was pressed for about 2 secconds. 

so i cut the fan cables and soilderd the fan cables back together but with the electromagnet also atached 

i later found i need to add a small resistor into this circut and after doing so it is impossible to generate a strongenough magnetic feild + the constraints of the measly powere levle the laptop runs on i have since found this to be quite unfeasable.

i even concidered removing one of the laptops usb ports to power the electromagnet but i still dont belive that this will provide enought current

does anyne have any sugestions for a workaround this silly sensor that dosent involve manualy holding a magnet next to the trackpad every time I want to turn it on?

any help would be apreciated

thanks in advance 

just to clarify i have already experimentid with a large number of magnet designs and have managed to create some fairly efficent magnets but still nothing strong enough

To you have access to the terminals of this magnetic sensor?

If you do you could perhaps solder on some wires and a switch and see if crossing them will do the same thing, I mean at the end of the day it is just a switch so you could remove the mag switch and put in a normal one.  

If you're using the laptop keyboard still, isnt there a function key/shortcut  to toggle display modes?

On 12/31/2021 at 12:33 AM, cachethrash said:

If you're using the laptop keyboard still, isnt there a function key/shortcut  to toggle display modes?

yes i am however it dosent opperate quite the way i need it to and seems to only work once the opperating system has taken over from the bios

On 12/30/2021 at 8:49 PM, Michael.W said:

To you have access to the terminals of this magnetic sensor?

If you do you could perhaps solder on some wires and a switch and see if crossing them will do the same thing, I mean at the end of the day it is just a switch so you could remove the mag switch and put in a normal one.  

i do have acess however it is not as simple as on off as it has 3 contacts not 2 (see pictures atached)

0.thumb.jpg.1a1b3e44ed182ed59f6c22ff2b1dcf6e.jpg

My limited electrical knowlage would tell me that it is some sort of potentiometer type thing that varies in resistence depending on the strength of a magnetic feild but im not that sure and nor do i know how to test this

this small board is located just infront of the trackpad and also has system status lights that show weather the computer is powered on or charging, it also carrys signals for the trackpad and i would prefer to maintain both these functions if possible

either way i hav a multimeter and a soildering iron and an eagernaess to learn if anyone with more knowlage than me would like to help

just to follow up after much time i  have resorted to using a magnet to manualy start the computer every time it is needed to be used