RX 6900 XT crashes always!

Mazxd3

Hey everyone! 

I have a really annoying problem with my gpu, I can't play any game because it's always crashing. 

Please help me out, I am so disappointed. Ths gpu costed me a lot! 

I filmed this video so you guys can see. 

My pc spec:

CPU 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

CPU Cooler 

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard 

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory 

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Ram)

Video card 

ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Power supplay

Corsair HX1000

Did you try updating latest BIOS and drivers? Did you double check if PSU cables are firmly connected to GPU?

Looking at temp, power and voltage readings seems OK (although for heaven benchmark it peaked at 225W maybe it didn't have enough time to peak to at least 250s).

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

On 12/28/2021 at 12:59 PM, Mazxd3 said:

Hey everyone! 

I have a really annoying problem with my gpu, I can't play any game because it's always crashing. 

Please help me out, I am so disappointed. Ths gpu costed me a lot! 

I filmed this video so you guys can see. 

My pc spec:

CPU 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

CPU Cooler 

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard 

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory 

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Ram)

Video card 

ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Power supplay

Corsair HX1000

I would check into what bee said. It appears to possibly be a driver issue. Did this windows install ever see a different graphics card?

I would try using ddu to completely remove the driver as well and do a fresh install of the latest one off the AMD site.

Both drivers and BIOS are up to date. I just checked the cables and they are connected well. There is something else i noticed that the motherboard is showing error code 9E, does that have something to do with my problem? 

17 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

I would check into what bee said. It appears to possibly be a driver issue. Did this windows install ever see a different graphics card?

I would try using ddu to completely remove the driver as well and do a fresh install of the latest one off the AMD site.

I have never tried a GPU other than rx 6900 xt.  I have already tested ddu and I have even reinstalled Windows 10 3 times!

1 hour ago, Mazxd3 said:

Both drivers and BIOS are up to date. I just checked the cables and they are connected well. There is something else i noticed that the motherboard is showing error code 9E, does that have something to do with my problem? 

From what I can find this was a new code added to say that tpm is active. So that should not be a problem.

1 hour ago, Mazxd3 said:

I have never tried a GPU other than rx 6900 xt.  I have already tested ddu and I have even reinstalled Windows 10 3 times!

What is in the event viewer after this happens?

There maybe a software conflict. If you have installed a GPU tuning utility try uninstalling it and test without hwinfo running and see if that makes a difference.

46 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

From what I can find this was a new code added to say that tpm is active. So that should not be a problem.

What is in the event viewer after this happens?

There maybe a software conflict. If you have installed a GPU tuning utility try uninstalling it and test without hwinfo running and see if that makes a difference.

I just did it now. I uninstalled everything. There is no difference at all. I have tried one thing now which is running Heaven Benchmark at low settings and everything was working fine. 

1 hour ago, Mazxd3 said:

I just did it now. I uninstalled everything. There is no difference at all. I have tried one thing now which is running Heaven Benchmark at low settings and everything was working fine. 

Sounds possibly power related. Are you using daisy chain power connectors on the GPU or do you have individual wires run for each connector on your card.

1 hour ago, m9x3mos said:

Sounds possibly power related. Are you using daisy chain power connectors on the GPU or do you have individual wires run for each connector on your card.

I am using the original cables that came with the psu.

-CP-9020139-EU-Gallery-HX1000-07.png

3 minutes ago, Mazxd3 said:

I am using the original cables that came with the psu.

-CP-9020139-EU-Gallery-HX1000-07.png

How many wires are running from the power supply to the GPU? 

Have you tried to reseat the graphics card or test another PCIe slot? 

4 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

...test without hwinfo running and see if that makes a difference.

Just want to point out that he has HWMonitor in the video which is completely different from HWinfo64 and is known to report incorrect sensor readings. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

13 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

How many wires are running from the power supply to the GPU? 

It is 2 wires.

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you tried to reseat the graphics card or test another PCIe slot? 

Just want to point out that he has HWMonitor in the video which is completely different from HWinfo64 and is known to report incorrect sensor readings. 

I've already done everything you mentioned!

1 minute ago, Mazxd3 said:

I've already done everything you mentioned!

I wouldn't know that you did everything I mentioned as it's not posted in your OP or replies.

Have you tried the undervolt setting in Radeon Software?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I wouldn't know that you did everything I mentioned as it's not posted in your OP or replies.

Have you tried the undervolt setting in Radeon Software?

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that, I'm new here and don't have enough experience. I didn't try the last thing you said. How can I do this?

Just now, Mazxd3 said:

Yes, you're right. Sorry about that, I'm new here and don't have enough experience. I didn't try the last thing you said. How can I do this?

No worries, it's just that by saying I've done everything is vague as we don't know what you did or did not attempt. 

Go to AMD Radeon Software, Performance tab, then Tuning, and under Tuning control, click on Undervolt GPU. You might have to accept to an EULA basically stating AMD is not at fault if something goes wrong and is not covered under warranty, but it's mainly for overclocking. 

8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

No worries, it's just that by saying I've done everything is vague as we don't know what you did or did not attempt. 

Go to AMD Radeon Software, Performance tab, then Tuning, and under Tuning control, click on Undervolt GPU. You might have to accept to an EULA basically stating AMD is not at fault if something goes wrong and is not covered under warranty, but it's mainly for overclocking. 

I tried it now. I had a crash while trying Heaven Benchmark and a message from the Radeon software (I uploaded a picture).

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 00.19.49.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Mazxd3 said:

I tried it now. I had a crash while trying Heaven Benchmark and a message from the Radeon software (I uploaded a picture).

~Snipped~

Nothing really useful in the screen shot. 

Go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs and expand this to open the drop down > Look through the events for any red exclamation marks and click on them. See if any are related to AMD Radeon software.  

11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Nothing really useful in the screen shot. 

Go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs and expand this to open the drop down > Look through the events for any red exclamation marks and click on them. See if any are related to AMD Radeon software.  

I did as you told me and found this.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 00.44.17 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 00.44.17.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Mazxd3 said:

I did as you told me and found this.

~Snipped~

Still looks like there's problems with drivers. I'd rerun DDU and perhaps try an older graphics driver version instead. 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Still looks like there's problems with drivers. I'd rerun DDU and perhaps try an older graphics driver version instead. 

I'll try what you suggested, thanks! I will get back to you with the results as soon as I'm done.

2 hours ago, Mazxd3 said:

It is 2 wires.

Pretty sure they your card has three connectors. This would mean one is chained off another. Do you have a third dedicated cable you can run to replace the chained connection? I have heard from a number of people including earlier videos from Jayz2cents that connecting like that can cause power delivery issues.

I have an Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT with a Corsair HX1000 Platinum (see sig for full specs) and I'm on Adrenalin 21.12.1 and it's almost perfectly fine. No crashing issue during gaming sessions no matter how long, though as of late, I do have a restart now and then, with black/blank screen when I have a YT vid on screen. This hasn't happened before when I first got my card in January, so I'm putting it down to recent drivers that may be buggy.

Weird thing is, when I game, I play UT3 and Metro Exodus PC Enhanced, I don't experience any restart/reboot/CTD/hard lock, it's only in desktop that these random restarts happen (so random that I can't pin down the issue as PSU isn't under load since it's on desktop), only conclusion is a driver issue. Games run just fine, even ran FC6 (which was my latest game) runs just fine with max setting + RT @ 3840x1080.

On a side note, when I buy AMD cards, I'd only buy PowerColor, Sapphire and/or XFX as these are exclusive AMD AIB's and I trust their QC more than the so-called premiere brands like MSI, Asus, GB, etc. To reinforce my belief, I have a PowerColor VEGA64 Red Devil (RMA'ed when I first got it due to being a faulty unit), the new unit I'd gotten has been running like a champ since then. I have two GB VEGA64 Gaming OC that were running in CF mode in my 2nd rig, powered by a Seasonic X-1250, first one died causing a crash. Issue was fixed when I removed the dead unit. Lo and behold, a mere few months passed when the 2nd card died, though not as bad as the first which was completely dead. The 2nd card can do desktop, movies, surfing, etc just fine, but start a game and it's either CTD or hard lock. Hence, my preference for AMD exclusive AIB cards....

Sorry, I can't help you with the card, can you RMA it? It sounds more like a hardware issue to me as AMD cards aren't supposed to make you jump thru hoops to get 'em to run. I own both AMD and nVidia cards since the 9700 Pro and TNT Riva days. Both do have issues now and then, usually driver related, but I've not experienced anything like what you, the OP, is experiencing with an AMD card. Hope you get it resolved soon as the RX 6900 XT is one bada$$ card.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

9 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

I was able to get 3DMark to work without any issues but heaven benchmark was crashing at some scene.  I haven't been able to play any game without problems. I tried overwatch which only lasted for 40 seconds and then got "your rendering device has been lost". I also tried the rocket league game which was crashing as soon as I opened it. Is there anything else I can try?

9 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Pretty sure they your card has three connectors. This would mean one is chained off another. Do you have a third dedicated cable you can run to replace the chained connection? I have heard from a number of people including earlier videos from Jayz2cents that connecting like that can cause power delivery issues.

I didn't really understand what you mean but I use this. 

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-31 at 11.19.11 (1).jpeg