Cassette tapes as storage

Denz006

I know this is a stupid question but can I use audio cassette tape on windows 10 to store files or other information

But if I can covert a file into sound then record on to the cassette through an audio cable then sending the sound back to computer then turning into a file again. Will that work? 

I mean you can use software meant to transfer data to old computers that used cassettes to turn a file into a wave file, record that onto a tape, grab it back, and use the software again to convert it back into a file...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Sounds cool! but I think there are drop outs on tapes and can affect it and unreliable

Can you?  In theory yes you can.

Tapes are magnetic storage, so it *can* work.

Now that being said:  There are no drives (that I know of) that are meant to record data from a PC to audio cassettes.

And Tape Drives do NOT function like "external hard drives" so that's not how you'd use them.  

What are you actually trying to do, that's usually an easier thing to work out a solution for.  

Edit:  Yeah, as @Kilrahmentioned, some old PCs did have cassette drives, but those back in the day were measured in Kilobytes of storage, not any quantity that would be useful by any standards today.  

Well it's not going to be fun to encode something digital onto an analog format with issues like wow and flutter that can vary between tape readers.

6 minutes ago, Denz006 said:

But if I can covert a file into sound then record on to the cassette through an audio cable then sending the sound back to computer then turning into a file again. Will that work? 

Yes, you can, but that is miserable.

Even in the Commodore 64 days it would take a good 5 minutes or so to load a program from tape. A modern file, being larger than the few hundred kilobytes of an equivalently sized floppy, would take a whole 120 min tape for a simple image file. 

4 minutes ago, Denz006 said:

Sounds cool! but I think there are drop outs on tapes and can affect it and unreliable

Yes, but if you get a high bias tape and a good quality serviced tape deck you can get flawless sound. 

However that'd run you up like $800 or so for a decent set. 

To me I think its fun to see if I can store data on cassette

Well I can't afford to get high quality metal tapes or something else

8 minutes ago, Denz006 said:

Yup. But "experiencing" those kinds of issues would be the only reason to do that today in the first place, so if that's what you want certainly have a go.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Maybe later on I would do the cassette experiment. Also I saw a video on lgr where he looked at a device that can encode and decode data from VHS and use it as storage on an old computer

7 minutes ago, Denz006 said:

Maybe later on I would do the cassette experiment. Also I saw a video on lgr where he looked at a device that can encode and decode data from VHS and use it as storage on an old computer

So, here's the thing with computers and tech:

If you're dedicated enough?  You can make anything in the fucking world work.  

It doesn't mean it will work /well/, but you can make /anything/ work.

See:  IP Over Carrier Pidgeon

6 hours ago, whispous said:

Memory sticks are $5

yes but cassette tapes are more interesting to me

31 minutes ago, Denz006 said:

yes but cassette tapes are more interesting to me

well I applaud your enthusiasm and patience.

You will not be able to "randomly access" the data you learn to store on tapes in any normal, useful way. You'll store virtually nothing on them, and it will be a long process of learning how streaming data functions.

You might have fun.