Ram Dual Channel vs. Quad Channel 2x16 | 4x8

Ram Dual Channel vs. Quad Channel 2x16 | 4x8.

Guys, I ve seen on internet a processor that supports quad channel and got around 20 fps difference on games in comparison dual/quad channel (with quad channel better performance).

My processor is 12700K and I run 2 slots of 32GB ram in dual channel.

Do you know if I can get better performance using quad channel 4x16 or my processor only supports dual channel mode?

I spent all my money on 2x16GB dont have money to buy more two 16GB sticks same model/brand.  I think I should had bought 4x8GB. Is that right or wrong?

7 minutes ago, sandronejm said:

Ram Dual Channel vs. Quad Channel 2x16 | 4x8.

Guys, I ve seen on internet a processor that supports quad channel and got around 20 fps difference on games in comparison dual/quad channel (with quad channel better performance).

My processor is 12700K and I run 2 slots of 32GB ram in dual channel.

Do you know if I can get better performance using quad channel 4x16 or my processor only supports dual channel mode?

I spent all my money on 2x16GB dont have money to buy more two 16GB sticks same model/brand.  I think I should had bought 4x8GB. Is that right or wrong?

Pretty sure that CPU is dual channel only. A couple of points though, more RAM sticks puts more load on the memory controller especially at higher frequencies, which could cause issues, both the motherboard and CPU need to support quad channel for it to work.

8 minutes ago, sandronejm said:

Only dual channel. The only CPUs that support quad channel plus are the HEDT ones, and it's mainly for more memory capacity. there might be a small performance uplift depending on how your memory is setup (single rank or dual rank) but that's it: small. If you bought a dual rank kit (it's about 50/50) then there is no performance improvement for going 4x16 compared to 2x16.

11 minutes ago, sandronejm said:

I think I should had bought 4x8GB. Is that right or wrong?

Nope, I would've gone the way you did. More room to upgrade and a higher likelihood of running your memory a it's rated speeds (arguably more important than memory rank)

12700k Does not support Quad Channel memory. Installing 4 sticks instead of 2 would at best have zero difference all else being equal (speed, timings and rank), and worst case cause a small reduction in performance.

9 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Pretty sure that CPU is dual channel only. A couple of points though, more RAM sticks puts more load on the memory controller especially at higher frequencies, which could cause issues, both the motherboard and CPU need to support quad channel for it to work.

That's right. I've researched which processors do support quad channel:

- Intel 9800X

- Intel 10900X

(12700K not included. It's dual channel only)

Maybe in future we see a 12900X quad channel.

Thank you all which left a commentary.

Quad channel is only available if processor and motherboard supports.

Imagine a quad channel ddr5 Overclock  vrrrruuuuuummmmmmm

19 minutes ago, sandronejm said:

Maybe in future we see a 12900X quad channel.

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Intel hasn't really done anything with HEDT in a while, and they don't really have a reason to get back into it yet. You can be hopeful, but since HEDT hasn't made sense to anyone outside of the professional sphere for a while (and even then, the 5950X has done a pretty good job on that front), I wouldn't expect it to be high up on Intel's priority list.

• 2 weeks later...

how often do two dual-channel kits of the same brand and speed and class not work together?

i'm thinking about getting two dual-channel kits instead of one quad channel, because the ones i can find right now, dual channel has faster speed than quad, and two dual-channel kit is a bit cheaper than a quad-channel kit.

please advise.

thanks.

1 hour ago, Error 504 said:

how often do two dual-channel kits of the same brand and speed and class not work together?

i'm thinking about getting two dual-channel kits instead of one quad channel, because the ones i can find right now, dual channel has faster speed than quad, and two dual-channel kit is a bit cheaper than a quad-channel kit.

please advise.

thanks.

Usually, with the same model using the same type of memory chips, it works just fine. I have personally upgraded memory on 8 different computers and never had any issues. I think the fears around memory upgrades are a bit over-exaggerated, but that doesn't mean problems don't crop up, so you're right to be cautious.

To be fair, even the quad-channel kit isn't guaranteed, because the integrated memory controller on the CPU is also a factor. Sometimes, the IMC just fails to run 4 sticks at their rated speed and it has nothing to do with compatibility between the sticks.

1 hour ago, Error 504 said:

Very often since Corsair is using different memory chips in the same SKU. Also different kits can be from a different batch and not guaranteed to work together.