XMP profile causes post failure

Hello everyone. Thanks for your suggestions in helping me troubleshoot my RAM.

First, I bought two DIMMS of this ram - GSkill FlareX - Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX with the 2020 label on the side. In the last couple of weeks I bought the exact same model of Ram, for 4 DIMMs equallying 32GB of RAM, but it has a 2021 sticker on the side of it. 

When I only had two DIMMS the XMP profile worked fine. With four DIMMS I cannot get XMP to work. I have only overclocked RAM on old Z97 Intel chipset and I just manually chose memory speed and left Auto on for timings and it was great. I cannot do anything with this ram except let it reset itself after not posting, which is 1866 CL13. If I make any adjustments whatsoever it will not post...gives me three beeps, cycles through this 3 times...then posts with reset default BIOS. Also, in task manager it shows 32GB, but only 15.9 usable and 16.1 GB hardware reserved 

Any help would be appreciated. I am confused. Is it just poor memory controller, motherboard limitation, the manufacturing years of the DIMMS making them not compatible (2020 vs 2021)????

AMD ryzen 2700X stock settings

Asrock B450m Pro 4

Seasonic 650W Gold

AMD RX 580 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

I am not sure what your issue is, but a couple thoughts come to mind.

If you get a kit of RAM with 2 sticks, then another kit of RAM with 2 sticks, there is no guarantee they will work together in any XMP profile, but they should work together in the JEDEC default 2133 config. So 1866 is confusing. Which leads me to believe one of the kits may have an issue. Do each of the kits operate without issue on their own?

3 hours ago, AaronThomas said:

If you get a kit of RAM with 2 sticks, then another kit of RAM with 2 sticks, there is no guarantee they will work together in any XMP profile, but they should work together in the JEDEC default 2133 config. So 1866 is confusing. Which leads me to believe one of the kits may have an issue. Do each of the kits operate without issue on their own?

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried the new kit alone. Nor have I checked each memory channel. I have not had the time to properly assess the problem to rule things like that. The 1866 is strange for me as well. Also, that if I modify anything related to memory speed or timings and it won't post. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

5 hours ago, AaronThomas said:

I did a bit more testing. Here are the results...

DIMM slots A2 and B2 are stable with XMP profile 3200mhz @CL14-14-14-34 with both sets of modules (2020 set and 2021 set)

DIMM slots A1 and B1 are not stable with XMP profile enabled (only one XMP profile available) and gives me 3 beeps when attempting to post. This goes for both 2020 and 2021 sets tested separately. According to ASrock website 3 beeps is a memory read/write error. It cycles attempts to post 3 times, as I have set in BIOS, and then it sits quietly for a few seconds and then posts with one beep. CPUZ reads the memory sitting at 2400mhz dual channel CL16 as per JEDEC default for  that specific RAM module. The results were exactly the same for each set of memory modules making me think that it is an issue with memory channels A1 and B1. 

As well I did memtest86 with both sets and even mixing the sets and did not get any errors running for 1 hour in different combos in slots A2 and B2...thus reinforcing my suspicion is an issue with the memory slots. 

Would a BIOS update help this? Should I just sell the perfectly good modules and buy a 2x16GB dual channel kit? I do not want a new motherboard.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. 🙂

@SpudbillySince you want to keep the board, your options are limited.

I'd say a board BIOS update would be worth trying if there is one available. Then try the 4 sticks.

If there is no update or it doesn't work, then the only thing you can do is sell your RAM and get a 2 stick kit of the capacity you want.

@SpudbillySet DOCP to 3200 for JEDC timings and voltage. Also set VDDG CDD Voltage Control and VDDG IOD Voltage Control. I cannot tell you what to set it to but it stabilizes the infinity fabric which could be your issue. My threadripper wouldn't boot DOCP till I set mine to 1.0 on both.