what cpu to buy

madjus

when i play games sometimes my cpu goes to a 100% while only having one program open i have tried fixing it but i have come down to the conclusion that i need to buy a new cpu right now my system is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460S CPU @ 2.90GHz cpu 8 GB ram and an nvidia geforce gtx 1060 3gb graphics card i have never upgraded before and want to make sure i buy the right thing

What games do you play and how much do you want to spend?

For new CPUs you will need to get a new motherboard and RAM as well. These days the recommended choices for gaming is Ryzen 5600X or i5 12600k but there are cheaper options as well.
The cheapest upgrade would be getting a used haswell i7 if you can find a good deal, between higher clocks and hyper threading you should see a significant upgrade (within reason, won't be as fast as current gen CPUs). And you don't have to change the motherboard or RAM.

Are you looking to upgrade the whole platform, CPU, motherboard, RAM, etc, or just the CPU? If just the CPU, you've got two choices: an i7 4770(K) or i7 4790(K)

13 minutes ago, madjus said:

when i play games sometimes my cpu goes to a 100% while only having one program open i have tried fixing it but i have come down to the conclusion that i need to buy a new cpu right now my system is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460S CPU @ 2.90GHz cpu 8 GB ram and an nvidia geforce gtx 1060 3gb graphics card i have never upgraded before and want to make sure i buy the right thing

You're not going to squeeze much more out of your graphics card with a much faster CPU. If you're not looking to upgrade your entire PC, you should be able to drop in an i7-4790 (verify your MB is compatible, but it should be). I'm assuming your current MB isn't capable of overclocking since your 4460S isn't, but if your MB supports it (Z97 chipset), I'd recommend the 4790K.

This would run you around $100. It's up to you if it's worthwhile for a modest upgrade now, or save up for a whole new system. Personally, I'd go with the latter.

thanks a lot for the help i really apreciate it

5 hours ago, Murzinio said:

What games do you play and how much do you want to spend?

For new CPUs you will need to get a new motherboard and RAM as well. These days the recommended choices for gaming is Ryzen 5600X or i5 12600k but there are cheaper options as well.
The cheapest upgrade would be getting a used haswell i7 if you can find a good deal, between higher clocks and hyper threading you should see a significant upgrade (within reason, won't be as fast as current gen CPUs). And you don't have to change the motherboard or RAM.

until now i have only had problems with apex legends and right now i have prepared myself to spend about 200$ on a new cpu tho if i want to buy a new pc i would probably spend more depending on if i find a good deal but i have a few more questions if i were to try and sell my current pc to then buy a new one do you have an idea of how much i should sell the old one for? and is there anything i should watch out for when buying a new one besides the basic stuff?