Is there a way to view what my programs are doing in the background in linux?

I want to see what all my programs are doing so that I can learn the commands they run.

For example I when I press the update button on my gui package manager It initiates a prompt for sudo password; I want to know what commands are run in the background to make that prompt happen.

1047462357_pamacgui.thumb.png.a0a9b1483ed1269295aedd695d37e311.png2062752208_passwordprompt.png.60a9ea5d7a74cc632cf13389b124bbae.png

31 minutes ago, ClassicNoob said:

I want to see what all my programs are doing so that I can learn the commands they run.

For example I when I press the update button on my gui package manager It initiates a prompt for sudo password; I want to know what commands are run in the background to make that prompt happen.

1047462357_pamacgui.thumb.png.a0a9b1483ed1269295aedd695d37e311.png2062752208_passwordprompt.png.60a9ea5d7a74cc632cf13389b124bbae.png

Good question and tbh you dont need to look at bg programs for this, maybe just look at the src code, hey, everything is open source remember

Also just open KSysGuard for KDE and System monitor for gnome if you want to look at running processes

GUI package managers are exceptional in that they are frontends for CLI programs and do start some CLI processes in the background; this is not true of all GUI programs. If you want to learn how to use the CLI package manager you'll be much better served reading a guide or wiki, or at worst a man page. Stuff like the password prompt can be launched from the command line as mentioned by @C2dan88, but don't be mislead into thinking most programs work by executing bash commands.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*