What port is this ??

Mayank Jindal
Go to solution Solved by xAcid9,

Look like miniPCIE/PCIE, for network card or old miniPCIE SSD? 🤔

Just now, Alireza said:

first of all

what board is this for?

explain a little

This is a port on my laptop used for wifi adaptor in my and i want to use it for sata drives 

Please help

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Yes this is for network card 

But i want to use it for sata hard drive 

Multiple if possible

Just now, Mayank Jindal said:

Yes this is for network card 

But i want to use it for sata hard drive 

Multiple if possible

Most of the time that's not possible. 

Can you give us the model of the WiFi card? Will help confirm the port. It looks more like an M.2 E Key connector than mPCIe, the keying is on the wrong side for mPCIE. 

6 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Don't think so, mPCIe has the keying on the other side. Looks like E Key M.2

5 minutes ago, Mayank Jindal said:

Can this be of any help ???

c6746-1-6b4f-cn1q-640x640.jpg

No, that's mPCIe to SATA. You don't have an mPCIe port (at least, not the one you've taken a picture of)

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

No, that's mPCIe to SATA. You don't have an mPCIe port (at least, not the one you've taken a picture of)

Nope

Is there any other way to add more sata ports to my laptop

I am trying to make a home nas using my old laptop.

Is this a standard connector??

Maybe pcie or something

It is used tin my laptop to connect the doughter board which contains sata connectors , usb and audio chipsrt

20211221_214653.jpg

It doesn't feel like miniPcie connector. 

It looks more like  M.2 with E key...  probably this one : Lotes APCI0147  https://www.lotes.cc/en/product.php?act=view&id=405

I'm basically saying it could be that due to the pin count : there's 24 pin before the notch, 12 on each side, and there's 44 pins on the other side (22 on each side). 

Key E allows for up to 2 pci-e lanes, and USB connections, which is great for wireless cards as bluetooth often requires USB.

You can try searching for a m.2 key E to pci-e x1 riser / adapter board to get a single pci-e x1 lane out of the slot, and then get a pci-e x1 sata controller like the m.2 sata controller you posted above - if you're good with soldering iron you could literally solder the wires from the m.2 adapter/riser board to one of those m.2 sata controller, the pinouts are standard and available, so it's just a issue of matching the pins.

See pages 6,7 if curious: https://www.congatec.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Application_Notes/AN43_M.2_Pinout_Descriptions_and_Reference_Designs.pdf

Edit : such adapter seems would work to convert M.2 E key to a usb and a pci-e x1 port : https://www.ebay.com/itm/254249457711

You would have to desolder the pci-e slot and solder wires directly from the pci-e x1 slot to the pins on those m.2 sata controllers  or somehow figure out how to squeeze these into your laptop. 

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

It looks more like  M.2 with E key...  probably this one : Lotes APCI0147  https://www.lotes.cc/en/product.php?act=view&id=405

I'm basically saying it could be that due to the pin count : there's 24 pin before the notch, 12 on each side, and there's 44 pins on the other side (22 on each side). 

Key E allows for up to 2 pci-e lanes, and USB connections, which is great for wireless cards as bluetooth often requires USB.

You can try searching for a m.2 key E to pci-e x1 riser / adapter board to get a single pci-e x1 lane out of the slot, and then get a pci-e x1 sata controller like the m.2 sata controller you posted above - if you're good with soldering iron you could literally solder the wires from the m.2 adapter/riser board to one of those m.2 sata controller, the pinouts are standard and available, so it's just a issue of matching the pins.

See pages 6,7 if curious: https://www.congatec.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Application_Notes/AN43_M.2_Pinout_Descriptions_and_Reference_Designs.pdf

Edit : such adapter seems would work to convert M.2 E key to a usb and a pci-e x1 port : https://www.ebay.com/itm/254249457711

You would have to desolder the pci-e slot and solder wires directly from the pci-e x1 slot to the pins on those m.2 sata controllers  or somehow figure out how to squeeze these into your laptop. 

Thanks man 

You can the best 

That is quite helpful

So can i conver the network card slot on my laptop to full speed sata(preferably multiple) ??

https://www.eassymall.com/product/ngff-m-2-key-m-to-key-a-e-extension-cable-ngff-adapter-card

Will this expose the pcie lane or sata ?

I think it's pcie as there is no chip on the pcb 

SmartSelect_20211222-222659_Brave.jpg

That would be a m.2 e key to  nvme pci-e x1 or x2 SSD ...  

A M.2 nvme SSD has a controller on it which connects to the computer using the pci-e lanes in the M.2 connector, up to 4 lanes. Because of this, you could use basic adapters to connect a nvme SSD directly to a regular pci-e slot for example.

The M.2 Key E connector you have contains 1 or 2 pci-e lanes and a usb connection and possibly other things (depends on the manufacturer of the motherboard).

In your case, if the laptop manufacturer only put one pci-e lane in the slot (because a wireless card doesn't need two), then you get only one pci-e lane.

Also, keep in mind that the laptop may have a list of wireless cards or devices permitted in that connector and the bios may reject any other pci-e device that isn't "whitelisted".  It's unlikely, but it's not unheard of.

Also, other problems could be insufficient power delivery ... for example, a nvme SSD may use up to 5-8 watts when writing a lot of data to the memory, but the laptop may only be capable of giving 2-3 watts to a device plugged in that connector. You'd have to try your luck and see if it works.

An M.2 SATA SSD would not work, because the M.2 connector on the board doesn't have the sata wires as far as I can tell. 

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

That would be a m.2 e key to  nvme pci-e x1 or x2 SSD ...  

A M.2 nvme SSD has a controller on it which connects to the computer using the pci-e lanes in the M.2 connector, up to 4 lanes. Because of this, you could use basic adapters to connect a nvme SSD directly to a regular pci-e slot for example.

The M.2 Key E connector you have contains 1 or 2 pci-e lanes and a usb connection and possibly other things (depends on the manufacturer of the motherboard).

In your case, if the laptop manufacturer only put one pci-e lane in the slot (because a wireless card doesn't need two), then you get only one pci-e lane.

Also, keep in mind that the laptop may have a list of wireless cards or devices permitted in that connector and the bios may reject any other pci-e device that isn't "whitelisted".  It's unlikely, but it's not unheard of.

Also, other problems could be insufficient power delivery ... for example, a nvme SSD may use up to 5-8 watts when writing a lot of data to the memory, but the laptop may only be capable of giving 2-3 watts to a device plugged in that connector. You'd have to try your luck and see if it works.

An M.2 SATA SSD would not work, because the M.2 connector on the board doesn't have the sata wires as far as I can tell. 

Thankyou sir 

Can I check in windows that how many lanes does the post has or physical maybe?

And 

If I conver the m.2 to sata and use it only for data will it work ?

Generally the "wifi chip slot" is an M.2 WWAN Socket 2 connector. If this is the slot it will have a B+M keyed slot which could potentially take storage. 

Now weather there is a B+M to SATA adapter I dont know, let alone if that slot even supports SATA. I dont think it will work. 

You could use USB to SATA adaptors if you have a couple of free SATA ports. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

7 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Generally the "wifi chip slot" is an M.2 WWAN Socket 2 connector. If this is the slot it will have a B+M keyed slot which could potentially take storage. 

Now weather there is a B+M to SATA adapter I dont know, let alone if that slot even supports SATA. I dont think it will work. 

You could use USB to SATA adaptors if you have a couple of free SATA ports. 

Thankyou sir

Yup I could use usb to sata adaptor 

But it won't be that fast or reliabile 

I am trying to build a home nas from that laptop so i need both speed and reliability

13 hours ago, Mayank Jindal said:

Thankyou sir 

Can I check in windows that how many lanes does the post has or physical maybe?

And 

If I conver the m.2 to sata and use it only for data will it work ?

Guys see what i found 

Hd87f1c63721440f199252cbc07badc82d.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

• 1 month later...