XMP enabled Game crash.

Nbd508

MSI z690 pro-a DDR4 (no later bios available)
gskill trident 4x8  4000mhz (https://www.gskill.com/product/165/166/1562741474/F4-4000C18D-16GTZRB)
i9-12900k stock clocks
3080ti evga ftw
windows 10home x64
---------------------------

When xmp is enabled 2x8 no issues (4000mhz)
xmp enabled in 4x8 games such as farcry 6(easily replicated; have done clean reinstall) crash after a few minutes of gameplay
xmp off 4x8  (2133mhz) no issues
I have labeled and swapped around ram in all possible combinations with xmp enabled both in 2x8 and 4x8; no failure in 2x8; always crash in 4x8
I do have a request ticket with MSI awaiting their reply.

Thoughts?

Keep trying to sign this stupid screen but it wont work...

It's likely that the memory controller on the CPU can't handle 4 sticks running at DDR4-4000 speeds. Remember: the DDR4 controller on the 12900K is only rated to run DDR4-3200 speeds, so anything above that is considered overclocking. Most Intel CPUs will happily run DDR4-4000+, but some are better than others and some can't handle that with 4 sticks. It's just putting too much strain on the memory controller.

17 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It's likely that the memory controller on the CPU can't handle 4 sticks running at DDR4-4000 speeds. Remember: the DDR4 controller on the 12900K is only rated to run DDR4-3200 speeds, so anything above that is considered overclocking. Most Intel CPUs will happily run DDR4-4000+, but some are better than others and some can't handle that with 4 sticks. It's just putting too much strain on the memory controller.

I should have checked intel's website;  lesson learned.

Keep trying to sign this stupid screen but it wont work...