New PC Build. Suggestions?

SpiderBlitz

Budget (including currency): ~AU$2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 144hz 1080p Gaming, video editing, CAD and programming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I will be dual booting linux and Windows (for school and games)

Proposed build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/SpiderBlitz/saved/3CY6D3

Note: I already have storage.

The actual price of the current build is about AU$1700 from local stores and Amazon.

the build you have is good

but go for a ryzen 5 5600 or something close its a good balance between gaming and work unlike the 11th gen chips(23% better than the cpu you chose according to cpu comparison sites)

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-11400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4112vs4084
its a bit more expensive but seriously worth it in terms of performance

If you can wait a month or two, the 12400 is supposed to be a great chip for the money. It's likely to be the same price or cheaper as the 11400, but outperform the 5600X (according to rumors at least).

Also, if you're gonna be dual booting, you might want to go for an AMD card instead. Nvidia drivers are notoriously bad on Linux, and Intel drivers aren't amazing either. Something like a 6600XT should perform about as well as the 3060 for the same price while also giving you a very good Linux experience. 

Finally, you might want to get a better rated PSU. The MSI MPG A-GF 650w is about the same price and a better rated unit IIRC. 

Everything else looks good. I'd just suggest that if you can, invest in two different SSDs, one for Windows and one for Linux, that way the bootloaders don't conflict with each other. 

2 minutes ago, monkeneedhelp said:

the build you have is good

but go for a ryzen 5 5600 or something close its a good balance between gaming and work unlike the 11th gen chips(23% better than the cpu you chose according to cpu comparison sites)

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-11400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4112vs4084
its a bit more expensive but seriously worth it in terms of performance

Don't use Userbenchmark. Please. 

For reference:

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't use Userbenchmark. Please. 

For reference:

mb 
any sites I should use for comparisons?

8 minutes ago, monkeneedhelp said:

mb 
any sites I should use for comparisons?

Actual review sites like Gamer's Nexus, Techpowerup, Tom's Hardware, etc. Basically anywhere but UserBenchmark. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Basically anywhere but UserBenchmark. 

Inb4 CPUBoss, which is basically same website different coat of paint.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Budget (including currency): ~AU$2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 144hz 1080p Gaming, video editing, CAD and programming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  I will be dual booting linux and Windows (for school and games) Proposed build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/SpiderBlitz/saved/3CY6D3

The current build locally is $1850.

I already have 2 1tb SATA SSDs and 1 4tb HDD.

Buying now?
A 3060 is not 900 aud, it launched at 500.
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

There you go.....

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($459.00 @ Centre Com) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($94.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($279.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($108.77 @ JW Computers) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($849.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($87.78 @ JW Computers) 
Power Supply: MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $1986.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-17 20:41 AEDT+1100

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

40 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

There you go.....

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($459.00 @ Centre Com) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($94.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($279.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($108.77 @ JW Computers) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($849.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($87.78 @ JW Computers) 
Power Supply: MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.00 @ Umart) 
Total: $1986.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-17 20:41 AEDT+1100

Thanks! I think I will go with this.

56 minutes ago, SpiderBlitz said:

Thanks! I think I will go with this.

yea, that patrick not to bad