NH D15 vs NH D15S

wisnoskij
Go to solution Solved by Dogzilla07,

Yup it's only the offset, and the often not known thing is that both NH-D15 and NH-D15S have the same height (160mm), once you remove to front fan on the NH-D15.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I've also used many and it's hard to imagine how compatibility would be worse than the NH-D15. 

Additionally NH-D15S is useful in some niche situations, like some old Intel HEDT motherboards with non-standard PCI-E placement, some new motherboards that don't have the M.2 slot above the GPU combined with 3090 (GPUs with RAM on the back that need extra cooling), or if you're using additional cooling on top of the backplate like EKWB setup, but Air cooling the CPU.

Also a couple of Asus Z690 motherboards where u can rotate by 180 degrees and actually use the NH-D15S in the complete opposite way intended and clear the top VRM heatsink, while touching and choking the GPU in the first PCI-E slot (ggwp for 3080 TI/3090/6900XT) xD But yeah those situations are so niche, 95% of the time, NH-D15 will be as compatible.

Really interested in doing a NH D15 build. But I am stuck between the NH D15 and NH D15S. The NH D15 seems to be the default, but according to the website NH D15S seems to just be strictly more compatible with more motherboards. And as I don't really expect the heatsink to ever die maximum compatibility is a real benefit.

Asymmetrical design: While both coolers are 150mm wide, the NH-D15S is off-set towards the top edge of the motherboard and thus provides more clearance towards the PCIe slot.

What really complicates matters is, in my area you can either look at the D15S as $10 cheaper or $20 more expensive if you want to replace the missing second fan.

Has anyone here actually used a D15S? Anyone have any opinions on it? It is only moving around the bulk so I am worried it is as likely to cause compatibility issues as solve them.

I could be wrong, but I think the only difference is the D15S is single fan, while the D15 is dual. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I could be wrong, but I think the only difference is the D15S is single fan, while the D15 is dual. 

The NH-D15S is offset to not interfere with the top pcie slot. https://noctua.at/en/whats-the-difference-between-nh-d15-and-nh-d15s

Noctua-NH-D15S-24.jpg

As shown with the motherboard compatibility list, the NH-D15S has better compatibility and has fewer issues with fitment. 

I've also used many and it's hard to imagine how compatibility would be worse than the NH-D15. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yup it's only the offset, and the often not known thing is that both NH-D15 and NH-D15S have the same height (160mm), once you remove to front fan on the NH-D15.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Additionally NH-D15S is useful in some niche situations, like some old Intel HEDT motherboards with non-standard PCI-E placement, some new motherboards that don't have the M.2 slot above the GPU combined with 3090 (GPUs with RAM on the back that need extra cooling), or if you're using additional cooling on top of the backplate like EKWB setup, but Air cooling the CPU.

Also a couple of Asus Z690 motherboards where u can rotate by 180 degrees and actually use the NH-D15S in the complete opposite way intended and clear the top VRM heatsink, while touching and choking the GPU in the first PCI-E slot (ggwp for 3080 TI/3090/6900XT) xD But yeah those situations are so niche, 95% of the time, NH-D15 will be as compatible.