Should i upgrade?

Doowni

Budget (including currency): £N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA Games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

As you can see from the table below my PC isn't half bad, I've had the pc just under 2 years and I've recently started upgrading some smaller components, being the RAM from 16GB to 32GB and the CPU fan from a stock intel fan to a Noctua fan. I was happy with my PC when I bought it for around £1000 but now I've been gaming more and with the more demanding games im playing and hope to play I've noticed it running slower and peaking more often. My CPU often peaks at 100% usage and my graphics card should be okay until I can muster up the courage to buy an upgrade. My problem is my motherboard. Its a Micro ATX and only supports up to 9th gen intel, RAM is only supported up to 2666 but im not too bothered about that. I don't know if its worth upgrading my motherboard so I can get a 10th gen cpu and future proof upgrades or just stick with my current motherboard and upgrade to a 9th get cpu. Im also going to in the near future probably upgrade my M.2 to 500 GB or 1TB as it is running tight on storage. Also any other recommendations are welcomed.

image.png.a6f00475830bbb7ba9ae16a5f1af25b9.png

That's a fine pc. The i5-9400f is a 9th gen CPU and still very capable

Personally, I'd wait for DDR5 to become more affordable/mature if the CPU/RAM is what you're most concerned about

my rule in upgrading... at least about every 7 years...

Then, upgrading parts or more... (in regard of the money is there) as long as you computer does the things you want it to do without getting you annoyed or feeling that everything is way too slow, don't upgrade ^^

If you think or feel that your system is lacking and want it to go faster... well do an upgrade.

Personal opinion in upgrades, if you want to shovel out some change:

Don't go 12th gen intel right now, too fresh, too many bugs with windows 11 etc... both way too fresh... wait at least until the first big update for 11 comes out.

Same with the new AMD Ryzen coming next year...

---------

I just made an upgrade (wel still waiting on the case) you can see in my signature core I5 3rd gen to AMD Ryzen 7 5800x... well aged platform... but not really "future proof" because the next gen AMD will be a new socket... but after 7 years and a little corona bonus I went for it... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 8:04 PM, Anghammarad said:

my rule in upgrading... at least about every 7 years...

Then, upgrading parts or more... (in regard of the money is there) as long as you computer does the things you want it to do without getting you annoyed or feeling that everything is way too slow, don't upgrade ^^

This should be a sticky

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Some reviewers *khem*Steve*khem* says that 11th gen is a waste of sand, and 12th gen uses different socket, so changing to 10th gen will not give you any future proofing. I'd wait for DDR5 systems to be available, out of their infancy (lack of DDR5 modules etc 😞 ), either Intel or AMD. That will make your system relatively future proof. Unless, of course, you really can't stand it as it is now, but then buy what you must, just without kidding yourself about future proofing with anything other than 12th gen Intel + DDR5.