Router Issues

dsong98

My router has been acting up for a few months now. Sometimes when I load a website, it gives me the "This site can't be reached" error page. I must refresh the page 3-10 times before it will load. I've found this doesn't happen for big websites like Facebook or YouTube, but it happens for smaller websites like video game guides, etc. I am on a desktop PC connected to the router with Ethernet.

My roommate has also experienced this on his laptop connected with WiFi.

I've also experienced similar issues in Epic Games Launcher or Steam, where some of those pages won't load and I have to refresh a couple of times.

I called my ISP Spectrum to see if they could identify any issues on their end, and they didn't see anything, but they could be wrong.

Can anyone help me fix this? Thanks!

Since you've verified that this isn't a singular client issue how is your network configured? Both of you have a connection either directly or wirelessly to the router but what is the router connected to? Does this connect to a Fiber/DSL/Coax connection or does it connect to another device?

Due to the stand-alone nature of these devices depending on the issue you're often left to just replacing network hardware but we'll see what we can do.

14 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Tried directly connecting to your modem rather than going through your router?

I haven't tried doing this. I thought you need the router though to convert the modem signal into something your computer can understand?

15 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Since you've verified that this isn't a singular client issue how is your network configured? Both of you have a connection either directly or wirelessly to the router but what is the router connected to? Does this connect to a Fiber/DSL/Coax connection or does it connect to another device?

Due to the stand-alone nature of these devices depending on the issue you're often left to just replacing network hardware but we'll see what we can do.

It's connected to the generic router that spectrum gives you. It's not fiber I know, just whatever their basic WiFi is, I think Coaxial.

2 minutes ago, dsong98 said:

It's connected to the generic router that spectrum gives you. It's not fiber I know, just whatever their basic WiFi is, I think Coaxial.

Do you have a model number on their generic router? You might have put yourself behind Double NAT. Your roommate included if he's connecting to the router you added. This can sometimes cause issues. Typically in games but potentially in web browsing too.