PC is REALLY laggy on startup

Hey guys, i hope you can help me with something.

Last afternoon i booted up my pc and it's done something never done before: it lagged REALLY hard on startup.

The lag was so bad i had to force a restart.

After the restart it started to look better, it seemed like the lag just happened at the startup.

This happened again some moments ago when i booted up  my pc.

I looked at the temps on my CPU (idle, right after i booted up my pc) and it was 60 degrees.

I suspect it could be the cpu running hot but could it be something else?

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 7 2700X

Geforce RTX 2070 Gaming Z (MSI)

16GB Ram 3200Mhz HyperX

X470 Gaming 7 WIFI AORUS

Wraith Prism Cooler

If i missed anything, please feel free to tell me.

I hope someone can help since i'm a bit worried. Component prices are really high up in these days and it would be really unpleasant to buy a new cpu at an inflated price.

Have a nice day!

Its common to lag on startup as AntiMalware Service tends to hammer the CPU and it can last for quite a while.

Did you not check Task Manager?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its common to lag on startup as AntiMalware Service tends to hammer the CPU and it can last for quite a while.

Did you not check Task Manager?

Yes, i checked task manager too.

I saw Antimalware executable, but it really wasn't chewing that hard on the cpu or anything, plus, this problem keeps going from yesterday and i doubt everytime i startup the antimalware always checks everytime.

Just now, DudeWhatTheN said:

Yes, i checked task manager too.

I saw Antimalware executable, but it really wasn't chewing that hard on the cpu or anything, plus, this problem keeps going from yesterday and i doubt everytime i startup the antimalware always checks everytime.

There's usually some sign in task manager, high CPU, high GPU, lots of IO for C drive?  If nothing is showing up its certainly a puzzle.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's usually some sign in task manager, high CPU, high GPU, lots of IO for C drive?  If nothing is showing up its certainly a puzzle.

It looks like nothings really stressed.

The memory is at 35% but that's about it. Could it be thermals?

19 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

It looks like nothings really stressed.

The memory is at 35% but that's about it. Could it be thermals?

Probably not, if it was thermal throttling I'd expect CPU load to be higher but clock rate low.  I'd also not expect it to ever fix itself.

You didn't mention your storage. Do you have a hard drive in the computer? Or an SSD that is more than 80% full?

So... In these 3 hours i made a full reset of windows.

Seems like it's fixed now.

Still don't know what was the problem.

49 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Usually this happens over time after installing a lot of stuff. Things can by default be told to startup when your computer starts, so you have all this stuff trying to start at the same time as you are logging in. It can get even worse if you have things like antivirus software or things that want to monitor everything you do to check for possible issues.

You can manually clean up the startup folder, and also choose which services and programs do and do not start automatically in your control panel. You can also remove more hidden things from startup in the windows registry. (Do not mess with the registry if you do not know what you are doing) That will help quite a bit, but it wont be amazing or as good as a fresh windows install or faster storage drive.

The absolute best solution I have found for laggy booting into operating system is to use an SSD or M.2 drive as your main hard drive with the operating system in it. The difference can be so huge that it's insane if you have been using a regular mechanical hard drive. (No joke, once you have been spoiled by these, it can be tough to go back to mechanical drives for anything more than cheap large amounts of storage)

You don't even need a huge expensive one. Get a 250-500GB SSD for your operating system installation if you cant afford more, and use a much larger mechanical drive as a second hard drive to store most of your data. Your windows installation will boot and load things so much faster that way.

4 hours ago, rickeo said:

Can you share your Startup tab in Task Manager?

1 hour ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

This would have likely told us what the problem was.