Two short beeps on a Lenovo Thinkcentre, help?!

mkeehl

Hey guys, I've got a sh#tty Lenovo Thinkcentre m72e, I was looking to sell it, but when I got there this piece of crap gave me a surprise (two beeps after pressing the power button). The first thing it did was give me a message saying "no operating system detected". The buyer thought it was a good idea to replace my HDD with his SSD (thinking it was a HDD problem), but then it gave out two short beeps. I put my HDD back in, but the same happened (meaning two beeps). 

Now, I don't know how this junk managed to break down on the road (in a freaking car), but one thing I remember before taking it to a buyer was replace the original HDD with my old HDD to upload some files to a Google Drive. However, it worked just fine before I left, I made sure to check everything. 

Now, how can a PC break down on the road? I did not put it on the ground or anything, just put it in a bag and drove it like it was my own kid.

It might seem funny, but I really need to sell this junk, I got no funds to take it to a professional, and I'm no tech genius, maybe you can help me diagnose this?

Note: I got no spare parts to swap them out or anything. Is there any way for me to find out what's wrong like this?

Lenovo support is being a d#ck about it.

according to lenovo's support page, two short beeps is "read the error that's on screen"..

so my guess is that it either cant find the drive, or cant boot off of the drive (badly installed / broken OS?)

so, review power and data cables for the SSD/HDD, and try to reinstall windows.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

according to lenovo's support page, two short beeps is "read the error that's on screen"..

so my guess is that it either cant find the drive, or cant boot off of the drive (badly installed / broken OS?)

so, review power and data cables for the SSD/HDD, and try to reinstall windows.

It won't even show me display right now, I cannot even boot from the Windows flash drive.

Yes, it could not find the drive, and I checked the cables, they are fine (I also used a different HDD but it gives the same result).

Basically, I'm left with two short beeps again, don't know if it's a hardware problem.

Two beeps is usually a general POST or RAM verification issue. Try unplugging all drives and then trying to boot using (if it has two) only one stick of RAM and a known working drive. Usually in my experience it's just bad or improperly seated RAM.

EDIT: Should have clarified, while testing try booting to the flash drive.

9 minutes ago, uncreativespace said:

Two beeps is usually a general POST or RAM verification issue. Try unplugging all drives and then trying to boot using (if it has two) only one stick of RAM and a known working drive. Usually in my experience it's just bad or improperly seated RAM.

EDIT: Should have clarified, while testing try booting to the flash drive.

I took out all two sticks of the RAM, blew out everything out (if anything), tried booting with one ram (both of them seperately), same result.

10 minutes ago, tkitch said:

pop out the RAM, blow out the slots, install one stick and try again.

If that doesn't help, clear the CMOS.

I cleared the CMOS, no difference.

I fixed it by moving the CMOS/Recovery jumper to 2+3 pins and putting them back on pins 1+2. Now I'm wondering what was the issue in the first place. Also, should I update the BIOS in order to prevent this from happening again?