980ti over heating

minecraftmodworx

Hey i just got a gtx 980ti from a second hand pc shop and paired it with my r5 1600 and its idle temps are very high around 50-65c and it keeps climbing and in games it goes up to 70 even 80 if i let it. I cant replace the thermal paste as it would void the 24 month warenty what can i do?

2 minutes ago, minecraftmodworx said:

Hey i just got a gtx 980ti from a second hand pc shop and paired it with my r5 1600 and its idle temps are very high around 50-65c and it keeps climbing and in games it goes up to 70 even 80 if i let it. I cant replace the thermal paste as it would void the 24 month warenty what can i do?

70-80°C is not even close to overheating. unless temperatures get close to 100°C I wouldn't worry about it.

But my idle temps are very high and they climb in game if i hadent closed the game it probs would have gone up to 90

9 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

70-80°C is not even close to overheating. unless temperatures get close to 100°C I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for getting back to me i will try running a game for 10 mins and see what the max temp is

11 minutes ago, minecraftmodworx said:

But my idle temps are very high and they climb in game if i hadent closed the game it probs would have gone up to 90

65 degrees for idle does seems high but it's not necessarily an issue. Have you checked out what the Fan curve is like ? I've seen GPUs straight up turn off the fans at idle.

That does sound a bit on the high side for idle but we're absent context. Do you have good airflow in the case? Is the fan on the GPU spinning at all? I think it is more common with newer GPUs, some have a 0 rpm mode when idle that means it is silent, but idle temps will be higher than those with a continuously running fan.

Load temps are what's important. I like to have GPU-Z running on the sensor tab when checking out hardware. You can see both temperature and also the performance limiting reason. Note that it is normal to be limiting when running a game. It is just indicating why the card is not boosting further because of various built in limits for stability. On my 980Ti FE it is quite normal to run off the thermal limiter at around 83C for example. The card will limit itself to not overheat.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 minutes ago, minecraftmodworx said:

Also you don't need to clsoe the game in fear that it getting to hot will kill the card. If a hotspot on the GPU reaches the max boost temperature it will just throttle itself. It will not burn itself out.

9 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

65 degrees for idle does seems high but it's not necessarily an issue. Have you checked out what the Fan curve is like ? I've seen GPUs straight up turn off the fans at idle.

yes i checked the fan curve and its good but it doesnt turn the fan off