New pre-built computer seems to have dead GPU, any other tests I can do?

Cataclyzm

Bought a computer from iBuyPower.(this model https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gaming-RDY-SLHRG210). In short, ASUS Prime X-570 Pro w/ an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 16gb 3200mhz ram, and a RTX 3080.

One of the sticks of ram was loose in the case. I did my troubleshooting with and without the RAM in, and made sure to leave a slot between them empty.

I plugged my DisplayPort cord into the GPU, but no video output was detected on boot. I could not see the BIOS POST but heard through headphones that it was trying to launch windows (message about accessibility features for some reason).

• I took my previous computer's GTX 1070 that I know is working and swapped it into the iBuyPower machine and it boots into windows and the display adapter picks up signal fine. Seems to be a dead GPU.
  • I took the 3080 out a tried reseating it several times but it just never sent out any signal to DP or HDMI on two separate monitors
  • reconnected the power connections to the GPU (of course)
  • Checked for other loose connections to various components of the machine, found none
  • Tried removing the stick of RAM that was originally loose in the PC case to eliminate it as a factor, no change. Machine boots with it in and both sticks detected
  • Updated the ASUS motherboard drivers (they were already up to date when I finally loaded windows with 1070 plugged in, could have updated as part of windows first boot? not sure)
  • flashed the most recent BIOS using the EZ Flash 3 tool in BIOS screen after downloading. Perhaps was already up to date.
  • Shorted the CMOS to reset it after all of the above just to be sure.
  • Tried multiple monitors which b both have DisplayPort and HDMI outputs that work on other machines

is there anything else that could be going on such that GPU is evidently powered on (Fans, lights all on) but no signal detected? I'm assuming at this point the GPU is just dead-on-arrival.

Yeah thats just dead. Not suprising with ibuypower. You did get saved from a total garbage overheating mess of a case tho.

38 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah thats just dead. Not suprising with ibuypower. You did get saved from a total garbage overheating mess of a case tho.

Yea it was a risky play to buy the machine from IBP, if I can get a working build with a 3080 out of it at 2100 bucks I'll be happy. Can always swap cases to something better if I want but this one seems okay so far - i think you can pop the front off.

I've sent those notes above to their support already so I'll just get this card RMAd with them and be patient. I'll probably migrate my 1070 to the new box until I get the new one and put it through the paces in the meantime.

Just now, Cataclyzm said:

Yea it was a risky play to buy the machine from IBP, if I can get a working build with a 3080 out of it at 2100 bucks I'll be happy. Can always swap cases to something better if I want but this one seems okay so far - i think you can pop the front off.

I've sent those notes above to their support already so I'll just get this card RMAd with them and be patient. I'll probably migrate my 1070 to the new box until I get the new one and put it through the paces in the meantime.

For sure pop the front of it doesn't have any airflow basically :p.

Best you can do is indeed rma.