Budget CPU

I am building a PC for my parents since they saw how amazingly fast mine was compared to theirs.  :P

I have most of it planned out already but the CPU. 

They are not heavy users , but they like to have lots of windows open at once and like to multitask.

I was thinking an AMD A6 6400K for AUD$75.

I guess I'm just wondering if that is what I am looking for, or if there is something better that i should know about.

My overall budget for the PC is about $600.

just make sure they have 4gb 1600 ram and a ssd, the CPU does very little these days unless the program does some kind of processing :) so really any duel core would work great for normal windows stuff :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

not interested in intel? 4670k would be good

why in hell would he get a brand new awesome Overclock CPU for his parents to use?!

because thats a budget cpu in aus that $300...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

why in hell would he get a brand new awesome Overclock CPU for his parents to use?!

they might wanna do some cpu intesive stuff

"They are not heavy users" and even then the GPU does many of these things today..

maybe an i3 would be better ;P

just make sure they have 4gb 1600 ram and a ssd, the CPU does very little these days unless the program does some kind of processing :) so really any duel core would work great for normal windows stuff :P

Yeah, planning on getting 8gb of ram and a Kingston Hyper X 3k 128gb.

No point having the K, unless OP's parents like to overclock haha

the more power, the better!

the more power, the better!

At this point your comments just makes me want to do the same thing as your avatar.  :ph34r:

An AMD APU should definitely be your choice here, there's no better for the money and the 6400K should easily suffice for your parents needs.

I am building a PC for my parents since they saw how amazingly fast mine was compared to theirs. :P

They are not heavy users , but they like to have lots of windows open at once and like to multitask.

I guess I'm just wondering if that is what I am looking for, or if there is something better that i should know about.

If you can fit an A8 or an A10 to the budget, I suggest you go with that. That'd give them some headroom as many threads might be running in the background. A value SSD and RAM kit should work just fine for them.

You should get something like this for them.

CPU:  Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($107.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory:  Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $552.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-13 06:26 EDT-0400)

Orrrrrr, get an i5

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($107.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage:  A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($119.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $612.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-13 06:27 EDT-0400)

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

My trust 2500k is awesome and never sh*t out on me once.

Hey.

Snip

Or you could read the whole OP and realise he's not in the states so those builds will far exceed his budget.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I am building a PC for my parents since they saw how amazingly fast mine was compared to theirs.  :P

if they have a few windows open at once it might be worth getting an a8 5600k or a8 6600k they are the cheapest quad core apu's but they aren't double the price of the dual core which means they are better value

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

CPU:  Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ Micro Center) 

Storage:  A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $552.92

That would cost over $1000 here not even including shipping.

if they have a few windows open at once it might be worth getting an a8 5600k or a8 6600k they are the cheapest quad core apu's but they aren't double the price of the dual core which means they are better value

$35 more for 2 more cores does sound pretty good.

That would cost over $1000 here not even including shipping.

$35 more for 2 more cores does sound pretty good.

happy now?

CPU:  Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard:  ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($83.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory:  G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($84.99 @ Mwave Australia) 
Storage:  Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($89.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case:  Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Total: $575.99
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-13 21:55 EST+1000)

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

Overkill much? Don't be silly ;) They are web browsing not video rendering 

I would go ahead with the AMD APU, you save money on not needing a graphics card and you could even take the savings and invest in a RAID set up for your parents so in the event of a HDD failure or just regular terrifying things that occur in Australia they can have some redundancy since I'm going to assume they won't be performing back-ups. Not a fool-proof solution, but one that I think you may want to consider.