650W psu with 3600x and 3080

Chaken

Hello. I recently bought a Asus Rog 3080 OC to replace my old card. I'm running a Ryzen 3600x with 32gb of ram with an SSD and 2 Hard drives. I have a 650W PSU which I would like to use however according to the box I need much more, pcpartpicker, however, says that I should be left with around 80w to spare. I'm worried about damaging the card if the power is insufficient but my bank account is already suffering enough so I'd like to use my current PSU if possible. Any thoughts? Will 650W be enough to run this build? If it isn't will it just negatively impact performance or will it damage the card? Any advice is appreciated!

First, what PSU model? That has more to do with it than anything.

Second, assuming it's a really high quality unit, still probably not to run it at full power. PCPartPicker's wattage calculater is kinda useless, and with how the power spikes work on RTX 3000, it's likely to trigger OCP on most 650w units. You can probably lower the power limit to make it work though, at 80% you should be fine until you can get a new unit. 

11 minutes ago, Chaken said:

If it isn't will it just negatively impact performance or will it damage the card?

Yes your performance will be impacted if you have to lower your power limit. It's possible that if you don't and trigger one of the PSU protections, you could damage the system, though not likely. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First, what PSU model? That has more to do with it than anything.

Second, assuming it's a really high quality unit, still probably not to run it at full power. PCPartPicker's wattage calculater is kinda useless, and with how the power spikes work on RTX 3000, it's likely to trigger OCP on most 650w units. You can probably lower the power limit to make it work though, at 80% you should be fine until you can get a new unit. 

Yes your performance will be impacted if you have to lower your power limit. It's possible that if you don't and trigger one of the PSU protections, you could damage the system, though not likely. 

Running an EVGA 650BQ. Thanks for the advice. I might just have to suck it up and buy A new one I guess

Just now, Chaken said:

Running an EVGA 650BQ. Thanks for the advice. I might just have to suck it up and buy A new one I guess

Yeah, that's a mediocre unit. Get a better PSU. I'm pretty sure there are some good deals on 850w units thanks to Black Friday. Make sure to get a high quality unit like the Corsair RM850x to make sure you don't have any issues.