Advice Needed on New Build

TheFlyingTuna

Budget (including currency): $1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games of all types, Star Citizen, Halo, etc. Video encoding

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bN39ht

Peripherals are all set, currently have 2 monitors but would like a third in the future.

The 3080 in the PCPartPicker is a place holder, I can't find one at a reasonable price unless I win a raffle suddenly. Case may change, I'm not dead set on the 7000D just a full size tower.

Need a CPU cooler but am not up to date on who's the best CLC or if a big air cooler is better.

My main question is should I get a 10th gen i9/i7 or a 12th gen i9/i7? I'm not planning on moving to Windows 11 any time soon.

Currently on a i7-4820k, GTX 980, 16gb of RAM.

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

You'll need a CPU cooler, I'd recommend a big air cooler. 

For now I guess use your GTX 980, which specific model is it? My EVGA SC model is a great overclocker, perhaps try that until you can get a new one. 

Yeah the GTX 980 is just a hold over until I can find a non scalped RTX30xx something. Current PC has a Corsair 280mm of some flavor (don't remember the exact model) that has held up surprisingly well.

I'm mostly wondering if I should go 12th gen or 10th gen CPU; heard 11th gen was a mess/not worth it.

Unless you get a really good deal on a 10th gen i9, you're better off going 12th gen intel. There are still some rough edges, but the performance uplift is very good (i.e. the 12700k beats the 10900k by a pretty decent margin and costs a decent amount less). 

As for the cooler, 12th gen Intel is hot. Like really hot. Your options are pretty much either an NH-D15 or a 360mm radiator if you're gonna be hitting all core loads somewhat frequently on either the i7 or i9. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NdCVrr

This is the system I'd build (though I'd probably ditch the Windows 10 license and get one from a key reseller for 10% the cost). Went for a 12700k, 360mm AIO, and a DDR4-based Z690 motherboard. DDR4 and DDR5 perform about equally in most scenarios currently, so might as well save some money and upgrade when DDR5 actually does perform better. Went for a faster memory kit, and swapped the case the the be quiet! Silent Base 802 because the system was $50 over budget (at least with tax) and the 802 is a fantastic case (it's what my system is currently in).