1080ti temps too low?

Go to solution Solved by tikker,
10 minutes ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

idk why but I get better hash without ocing vram.

Pascal has a hardware problem (trying to dig up the reply by Nvidia explaining this on their forum). The issue is the so-called "translation lookaside buffer". Ethereum's DAG size now exceeds the TLB's capacity on Pascal, resulting in the performance degradation. IIRC this is the reason why underclocking memory sometimes seems to help.

My FE hits similar hashrates so I think you're good.

I have a 1080ti mining eth with a core clock of 1974 and -500 mem idk why but I get better hash without ocing vram.  So I’ve been getting 43-44mhs but the second I try to push core further it crashes I have 180pl but I bumped it up and had no luck (to 200) my temps r really good maxing around 35c. So any help would be appreciated.  

10 minutes ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

idk why but I get better hash without ocing vram.

Pascal has a hardware problem (trying to dig up the reply by Nvidia explaining this on their forum). The issue is the so-called "translation lookaside buffer". Ethereum's DAG size now exceeds the TLB's capacity on Pascal, resulting in the performance degradation. IIRC this is the reason why underclocking memory sometimes seems to help.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Do you think I could squeeze more out of it? I was getting 50mh on higher temps but I switched my cooling solution and now it wont hit it.

2 minutes ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

Do you think I could squeeze more out of it? I was getting 50mh on higher temps but I switched my cooling solution and now it wont hit it.

Play with the clocks and power target. Sometimes overclocking the memory has helped me. It scales noticeably with core clock as well though.

Here's Nvidia's confirmation of the issue btw: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/blockchain-drivers/110847/14

Here is the reply. Please note that I likely will not be able to respond to any follow-up questions about this. Therefore, if you ask a question, and I do not respond, that is the reason. I’m not permitted to share any more details than what is presented here:

We’ve confirmed that the performance drop is due to the size of the DAG exceeding the total on-chip TLB capacity on the Pascal GPU. As a result, there is an increased number of TLB misses, which affects performance. Because the TLB is a fixed capacity hardware resource, and the ETH algorithm accesses the DAG randomly, we don’t believe there are any software optimizations that could reduce the TLB miss rate.

In the Volta generation, TLB coverage was increased by 4x, and large DAG sizes (up to ~8GB, which won’t be reached for many years) will still fit in the on-chip TLB. So these newer GPUs (Volta and beyond) will show much less performance sensitivity due to DAG size.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB