2 computers 4 monitors setup help

kcraider81

This isn't necessarily  a new build per se, but i have been trying to find a better solution to have 2 computers sharing 4 monitors.  I currently have 2 docks and a usb switch and 2 keyboards and mice.  What I can do right now is:

1. use one specific computer with everything, all 4 monitors and both keyboards and mice.

2. use half on one and half on the other.

what I want to be able to do is what i can do now, but also be able to use all on both computers while still being able to split between the 2.  so here is my wanted scenario:

1. computer a uses all 

2. computer a uses 1 keyboard 1 mouse and 2 monitors while computer b uses 1 keyboard 1 mouse and 2 monitors

3. computer b uses all

Any input on the best route(preferably with as little parts needed) would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if this is not the right place for this post, PLEASE point me to where I should post.  I didnt really see a better place than here.

TIA

33 minutes ago, kcraider81 said:

This isn't necessarily  a new build per se, but i have been trying to find a better solution to have 2 computers sharing 4 monitors.  I currently have 2 docks and a usb switch and 2 keyboards and mice.  What I can do right now is:

1. use one specific computer with everything, all 4 monitors and both keyboards and mice.

2. use half on one and half on the other.

what I want to be able to do is what i can do now, but also be able to use all on both computers while still being able to split between the 2.  so here is my wanted scenario:

1. computer a uses all 

2. computer a uses 1 keyboard 1 mouse and 2 monitors while computer b uses 1 keyboard 1 mouse and 2 monitors

3. computer b uses all

Any input on the best route(preferably with as little parts needed) would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if this is not the right place for this post, PLEASE point me to where I should post.  I didnt really see a better place than here.

TIA

I don’t have much.  Maybe a little.
I take it you want a 4 wide desktop instead of mirroring. (you might not I suppose.  I don’t know the use case) The only way I know to do that is with a kvm switch with 4 monitor ports.  Might be possible with software kvm. Pixel count and refresh rate of the monitors involved could matter.  I don’t know.  Bandwidth thing. I haven’t heard of a hardware kvm with that many ports but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.  Sounds expensive though.  One would want to take note of the KIND of ports on a hardware switch.  It sounds like software would be preferable over hardware because fewer cables and boxes on the desk. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You could buy bi-directional Displayport switches, if your monitors and video cards have displayport connectors. Here's an example : https://www.amazon.com/Angusplay-DisplayPort-Switch-Bidirectional-Splitter/dp/B089SLDDZZ/

You could get 4 of these and just press the buttons to switch monitor from one computer to the other whenever you want.

If you're up for a bit of do-it-yourself you could open the cases of those and solder a couple of wires where the select button and maybe where the two leds are and bring those to a separate box with your own buttons  and leds (ex make a button that changes all four at the same time)

As for keyboard and mouse, a simply kvm switch would do the job...

-> Moved to Peripherals

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

-> Moved to Peripherals

Thanks, sorry for the misplaced post.