Finally going for it, with all the sales

RMTailleFer

Looking for input & sober second thought. I'm a first time builder who has been doing a lot of thinking, reading, etc for over a year and feel ready to put something together.

I already have the 1660s (lucked into a new one for free), and my plan is to overbuild relative to that card, in the hopes that it can be upgraded in the coming year or two if/when the gpu market regains sanity.

I'd like to be able to game on a 1440 high refresh rate monitor (and have a dual monitor setup), but I realize that until I get a beefier card I might be better off sticking to 1080p. No worries. I don't really have strong expectations about settings, etc, since it's been forever since I've gamed on a PC. I just want to have lots of options.

I will be doing some light video editing, not on a professional basis, not in 4K.

I don't have a super firm budget. Since I got the video card for free, I'm comfortable beefing up my other components, more than I would otherwise. That said, if a 5900x looks ludicrous for this build, or if there are other parts that look out of place, I'm happy to have the sober second thought...

I am based in Western Canada, prices are CAD, MemEx is the go to brick and mortar in my area.

Let me know if I missed any important info! Thanks for taking a look:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KHFCsX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($609.99 @ Best Buy Canada)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon Canada)    <--- Or maybe I'll just shell out a few extra bucks to get the Chromax version 🙂

Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Canada Computers)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($84.99 @ Memory Express)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($84.99 @ Memory Express)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Memory Express)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($184.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Memory Express)

Total: $1639.87 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-24 14:25 EST-0500

Overall looks like a decently build system. I would suggest going for a 12700k, but the 5900X is also a good option. Here's a couple of things I would change out though:

Swap to a 2x16GB kit instead. Makes it easier to expand ram later down the line. Here are some options for you:

Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB

Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB

There is a good deal on an SSD right now on Best buy. Ordered in 2 days ago and it already arrived. Here's the link: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro. I would suggest also going to 2TB so you don't have to worry about storage for awhile.

Intel option if you're curious:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($519.98 @ Best Buy Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($139.94 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($279.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($129.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($229.99 @ Best Buy Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($184.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($147.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1632.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-24 17:08 EST-0500

Thanks for taking a look for me. I'll be honest, I was planning to stay away from the 12000 series for early adopter reasons, but after your input and some from another person, I took another look at the price/performance, and I'm interested! I'll give this some serious thought. Good news is there's LOADS of them in my local market too 😄

Thanks also for your advice about the RAM, I'll definitely take it.

The SSD thing is interesting - my thought was that since storage in general and SSDs in particular drop their price aggressively as the technology progresses, I figured get 1TB now, and by the time I fill it up I'll be able to get 2TB for the same price! Either way, probably not a make or break decision for my build, so I'll play it by ear 🙂

Thanks for recommending those ADATA drives on sale. The thought crossed my mind that they might have been caught up with the scandal with the downgraded components, but to be honest ANYTHING is fast than the HDDs I'm rocking now!

Thanks for spec'ing out a build for me, and all your great insight!