Remote portal to local services?

tonyrulez

Hi,

I have a server running services in Docker containers (sonarr, torrent, rss, adguard, etc.). I really don't want to give them public URLs. So far I've been using them remotely via VPN, connecting to my home network.

However I found Organizr and mistook it as a "portal" to my home network. I thought I could access Organizr remotely, and in it get access to my local services' webUIs (e.g. 192.168.1.105:9191, that kind of things). Unfortunately that's not the case with Organizr, it can only show pages that are otherwise accessible from where I want to browse them.

Got me thinking, is there any service that works this way? So I only need to access "mystartpage.com" and I can open 192.168.1.105:9191 etc. in it, just like if I was on my home network.

That would be no different from the VPN you already use...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That would be no different from the VPN you already use...

Except that it would be much faster and easier. Imagine going to a new computer: I would have to install OpenVPN, transfer there my ovpn profile, import it and connect. (Oh and if it's not my computer, remove my profile afterwards and possibly OpenVPN). Then I would have to remember the IPs and ports of all my services. Instead of this, all I would have to remember and open is mystartpage.com, where everything works through bookmarks.

13 minutes ago, tonyrulez said:

Except that it would be much faster and easier. Imagine going to a new computer: I would have to install OpenVPN, transfer there my ovpn profile, import it and connect. (Oh and if it's not my computer, remove my profile afterwards and possibly OpenVPN). Then I would have to remember the IPs and ports of all my services. Instead of this, all I would have to remember and open is mystartpage.com, where everything works through bookmarks.

Impossible without a VPN and anything that allowed this without a VPN would be a huge security issue since mystartpage.com would be accessible to everyone meaning anyone could follow your hyperlinks and access your local services in the exact same way you could.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This. If you have one publicly accessible page that when logged in gives you access to your stuff it's no different from having that stuff directly available publicly (assuming they own have their login pages as they should).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just an example: Portainer allows me to access a container's console through the webUI. Is this a security issue too?

10 hours ago, tonyrulez said:

Just an example: Portainer allows me to access a container's console through the webUI. Is this a security issue too?

that depends on if your webUI is accessible from anywhere without a VPN or not.