Western Digital discontinue support to it's OS3 cloud searching for alternative

EggstarZ

Western Digital discontinue support to it's OS3 cloud.

as some of you might know this happened yesterday:

On April 15, 2022, support for prior generations of My Cloud OS, including My Cloud OS 3, will end. Your device isn’t compatible with critical security updates that are only available for My Cloud OS 5-compatible devices. As a result, you’ll only be able to access it locally. After April 15, 2022, your device will no longer receive remote access, security updates, or technical support. To help protect your content, we recommend that you back up your device, disable remote access , disconnect it from the internet, and protect it with a strong, unique password. Check out our recent My Cloud updates to learn more.

Thank you for being a long-time Western Digital customer. We understand that your content is important to you, and we appreciate that you trust us to help you preserve it. To show our appreciation, we’re sending you a 20% discount coupon in January 2022 that you can use toward an eligible device. Keep your eye out for another email from us with information about that discount.

I hope there is a way to get my drive working with another nas system without wiping it, any suggests? 

It specifically says that support for myCloud OS3 will end. You could upgrade to a MyCloud OS5 device, and migrate your data so you can stay with something youre familiar with.There are other solutions out there, but MyCloud is probably one of the least expensive and easiest soluitions to setup & manage.  

Its also worth noting its only the Cloud access thats being discontinued, local access is unaffected. 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/western-digital-drops-support-and-remote-access-for-devices-running-my

If you do own a device that isn't compatible with My Cloud OS 5, Western Digital will be offering a 20% discount coupon to make upgrading a little less expensive. Depending on the device you own, the discount can be used against the following devices:

• My Cloud Home (8TB)

• My Book (12TB)

• My Cloud EX2 Ultra (16TB,24TB,28TB)

• My Book 12TB

The coupon is being sent to customers in January and will remain usable for 90 days. On Jan. 15, all devices compatible with My Cloud OS 5 will no longer support prior generations of My Cloud OS. If you can upgrade to OS 5, it's best to do so as soon as possible to retain the full functionality of your device.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 hours ago, Jarsky said:

It specifically says that support for myCloud OS3 will end. You could upgrade to a MyCloud OS5 device, and migrate your data so you can stay with something youre familiar with.There are other solutions out there, but MyCloud is probably one of the least expensive and easiest soluitions to setup & manage.  

Its also worth noting its only the Cloud access thats being discontinued, local access is unaffected. 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/western-digital-drops-support-and-remote-access-for-devices-running-my

I know that exactly, but if this gonna happen in another 5 years that WD will have no service to older hardware it's bad service I think.....

I am searching for an alternative option that might be better for long term. 

9 hours ago, EggstarZ said:

I know that exactly, but if this gonna happen in another 5 years that WD will have no service to older hardware it's bad service I think.....

I am searching for an alternative option that might be better for long term. 

You can get basically any other nas and use it. If you want the longest life, going diy with something like unraid or anouther linux distro is probably your best option.

Id just restore backup on the new nas, don't try to find a new nas that supports the same on disk format.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:18 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can get basically any other nas and use it. If you want the longest life, going diy with something like unraid or anouther linux distro is probably your best option.

Id just restore backup on the new nas, don't try to find a new nas that supports the same on disk format.

OK, would I need to wipe my current NAS drive to use it on DIY system or different WD system?

13 minutes ago, EggstarZ said:

OK, would I need to wipe my current NAS drive to use it on DIY system or different WD system?

Yea normally. All the NAS oses store data on the disks in a different way.