Seriously STUMPED by this motherboard problem

Energycore
10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You can try zen timings or any app that will list the correct secondaries for the memory. Your timings look ok to me, but obviously I don't know what they are supposed to be lol. 

Hope 2133mhz does ok. fingers crossed. Would be better than a system that randomly shuts down.

Nope, just crashed on 2133-15-15-15-35. I'll be purchasing a new CPU and RMAing this one I guess.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Nope, just crashed on 2133-15-15-15-35. I'll be purchasing a new CPU and RMAing this one I guess.

Another setting you can try and play with is called "Power supply idle control". Maybe under AMD CBS. Not sure if AsRock has this setting though, you'll have to look. (advanced tab)

On 11/21/2021 at 7:11 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Another setting you can try and play with is called "Power supply idle control". Maybe under AMD CBS. Not sure if AsRock has this setting though, you'll have to look. (advanced tab)

Hey! So I wanted to report back after some 8 hours of working on this.

I got the new CPU and tested it on the motherboard. Still turned itself off. So I ruled out CPU and looked at my RAM being faulty, so I asked a friend for a good stick of DDR4 (It's a Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) that he runs on a B450 motherboard. Still no dice. Then I switched back to my MSI motherboard to see if it was indeed the motherboard, but still got issues (actually on the MSI motherboard it restarts itself rather than turning itself off and just laying there).

At this point I am looking at it possibly being the memory controller not liking EITHER memory kit, so I'm looking for a kit that works.

Can I ask for your help finding any 16GB (or 32 if you don't find 16GB ones) kit that's on either motherboard's QVL on amazon.com.mx? I'll be trying myself.

The other possible cause is two of my things being broken. Two motherboards, 2 CPUs or 2 power supplies (but my PSUs both work fine on my older build and one of them is a Seasonic GX from 2020, it's the one I use for the new computer).

Anything else you'd check?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hey! So I wanted to report back after some 8 hours of working on this.

I got the new CPU and tested it on the motherboard. Still turned itself off. So I ruled out CPU and looked at my RAM being faulty, so I asked a friend for a good stick of DDR4 (It's a Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) that he runs on a B450 motherboard. Still no dice. Then I switched back to my MSI motherboard to see if it was indeed the motherboard, but still got issues (actually on the MSI motherboard it restarts itself rather than turning itself off and just laying there).

At this point I am looking at it possibly being the memory controller not liking EITHER memory kit, so I'm looking for a kit that works.

Can I ask for your help finding any 16GB (or 32 if you don't find 16GB ones) kit that's on either motherboard's QVL on amazon.com.mx? I'll be trying myself.

The other possible cause is two of my things being broken. Two motherboards, 2 CPUs or 2 power supplies (but my PSUs both work fine on my older build and one of them is a Seasonic GX from 2020, it's the one I use for the new computer).

Anything else you'd check?

I can suggest only a single kit to remedy the situation. Which on my B450m-a was a big issue with SK hynix kits. Slap in my black and red kit, same as below, set my OC and restarts went away. I will admit some struggle after the kit swap though. It seemed to take a few good restarts for whatever reason. But that board doesn't memory train at start up, so I think some secondaries where stuck. This experience was over a year ago. 

I have no doubt in my mind it's the memory.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232437

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I can suggest only a single kit to remedy the situation. Which on my B450m-a was a big issue with SK hynix kits. Slap in my black and red kit, same as below, set my OC and restarts went away. I will admit some struggle after the kit swap though. It seemed to take a few good restarts for whatever reason. But that board doesn't memory train at start up, so I think some secondaries where stuck. This experience was over a year ago. 

I have no doubt in my mind it's the memory.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232437

Ok let me look for that model, and if I can't get it I found this HyperX kit with Samsung B-Die (MSI's page lists it as Samsung 5WB) that's on the MSI motherboard's QVL: https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B07WJJJ27P/ do you see any issue with it?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ok let me look for that model, and if I can't get it I found this HyperX kit with Samsung B-Die (MSI's page lists it as Samsung 5WB) that's on the MSI motherboard's QVL: https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B07WJJJ27P/ do you see any issue with it?

Could be samsung but if the timings are 16-18-18, that's not the kit you want. Look for the G.Skill kit I listed. 

And a re-read of my last post, what I meant by restarts was accompanied by clearing the cmos. Just by the jumpers, not the long way F*** that. takes too long lol. 

27 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Could be samsung but if the timings are 16-18-18, that's not the kit you want. Look for the G.Skill kit I listed. 

Ohh ok that works for me.

24 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh man $200US for a RAM kit, I'll do it if I HAVE to but yeah

Is this 3200 kit fine? It's the alternative I found https://www.amazon.com.mx/G-Skill-16GB-DDR4-3200-3200MHz-módulo/dp/B01HFR96OQ/r

Edit: nevermind it's 16-18-18

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ohh ok that works for me.

Oh man $200US for a RAM kit, I'll do it if I HAVE to but yeah

Is this 3200 kit fine? It's the alternative I found https://www.amazon.com.mx/G-Skill-16GB-DDR4-3200-3200MHz-módulo/dp/B01HFR96OQ/r

Nope, that one is 16-18-18 also.

RGB always costs more, that's why so expensive. The first one I linked is only 109$ US. And why I linked it. 

The end of the part number on g.skill signifies the color. KW is black and white. ZW is silver and white. R is rgb.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Nope, that one is 16-18-18 also.

RGB always costs more, that's why so expensive. The first one I linked is only 109$ US. And why I linked it. 

The end of the part number on g.skill signifies the color. KW is black and white. ZW is silver and white. R is rgb.

I think I can order from newegg, so I'll try to get the G.Skill kit.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I think I can order from newegg, so I'll try to get the G.Skill kit.

That would be cool. Fastest 110$ kit on the market. Mine do 4000mhz cl16's rather easily.

40 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That would be cool. Fastest 110$ kit on the market. Mine do 4000mhz cl16's rather easily.

I ordered the kit. Here goes nothing. At this point I can rate my PC building experience with Ryzen an honest 0/10. It's lost me time and money 😞

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I ordered the kit. Here goes nothing. At this point I can rate my PC building experience with Ryzen an honest 0/10. It's lost me time and money 😞

You're not alone. Return the kit if it doesn't work. I'll be at a loss.

When you post first time, for the xmp setting, enable it, while enabled, set the dram frequency manually to 3200mhz, which is what the cpu memory controller supports up to. With the lower frequency at the rated xmp timings, it should be rock solid stable.

Definitely clear the cmos. If the system seems funky, shut it down and clear cmos again. Once your rig realizes it's got good memory in it, should be able to snag 3733mhz with little more than just setting the frequency. 

One thing to be sure, CPU/SOC voltage 1.08v. You won't need more than that. The memory will also scale with dram voltage. Don't fear 1.40v.

Hey Guys! It's a long time no see for a lot of you, hi! 😄

>hi ... O__o

I'm actually here because I have reached the end of my patience with my new Ryzen 5600X/B550 motherboard combo. Let me be more specific.

A month or so ago I got my CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade. I've had a slew of issues that were frustrating but were eventually fixed, except for one.

> And what is that?

Ever since the upgrade, my computer randomly shuts down, but the fans keep spinning (sometimes they go to 100% but not always). This can happen ANY time, even while in BIOS and seems to be random. Sometimes my computer goes a full 12 hours just fine, sometimes I have to start it up 5-6 times because it just shuts down right after entering windoms, or even right after POST.

> Sounds like <b>It Thinks its overheating</b> but i presume you are sure your cooler block/fans (or just fans) are plugged in...

Edit: Might be useful to add that there's no power cycling. I can boot up the computer just fine after it breaks.

> Sounds right, yet...

Here's my system specs

- Ryzen 5 5600X
> Which has OC settings which can "F Up" as so.

- AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
> Excellent board.

- 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 C16 kit

> Those will overclock to 4000 without a problem: but i digress...

- Old Toshiba SATA SSD for Windows
> just fine.

- New Crucial P5 with fresh Windows Installation

> confused...
- EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
> Nvidia... (withholds opinion  >__=)

- Phanteks AMP 550W (same internals as the Seasonic Focus GX)

> Just fine...

Here's what I have already tried

- Different BIOS versions

- Different motherboard (tried an MSI B550 board)

- Clearing CMOS and running without XMP etc

- Ditching the old Windows install and using only the Crucial P5

- Reseating CPU/RAM/PSU Cables
- Different PSU (I also have a Corsair CX450M that I got from warranty and has pretty much been unused since I got it)

> 1.) The Bios is checked* So thats not it.
> 2.) The Motherboard is Checked.
> 3.) Settings cleared. Thus Checked.
> 4.) New windows (and eliminating driver errors. Except, BIOS too tho?) check.
> 5.) Cable stuff.... check.
> 6.) PSU stuff... check.

> Whats left...
> - CPU maybe
> - GPU maybe
> - RAM maybe
> - SATA or NVME SSD. almost certainly not. (it just wouldnt boot into OS, not crash in bios)

None of this has solved the problem. I have NO IDEA what the issue is and frankly I'm just about to pull out my hair over this.

Do you guys have any suggestions? It would be much appreciated 🙂

~Energycore

> I think its the CPU thinking its overheating.
- This would act like a random shutdown.
- but a broken/defective CPU may randomly reboot (RMA)
> But it could also be the ram, being corrupted
- this usually means randomly reboots
- could be bad settings (too fast/wrong time)
- could be bad ram [Slow it down, see what happens]

On 11/26/2021 at 11:03 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

You're not alone. Return the kit if it doesn't work. I'll be at a loss.

When you post first time, for the xmp setting, enable it, while enabled, set the dram frequency manually to 3200mhz, which is what the cpu memory controller supports up to. With the lower frequency at the rated xmp timings, it should be rock solid stable.

Definitely clear the cmos. If the system seems funky, shut it down and clear cmos again. Once your rig realizes it's got good memory in it, should be able to snag 3733mhz with little more than just setting the frequency. 

One thing to be sure, CPU/SOC voltage 1.08v. You won't need more than that. The memory will also scale with dram voltage. Don't fear 1.40v.

Hey! So I got the RAM today and tested it. Issues in both motherboards. On the MSI, I set XMP (but left it at 3600) and then tried to install Windows again. Random restart before I even clicked Install. After that I have not been able to POST the MSI motherboard even after clearing CMOS multiple times (with the battery even because desperate times).

At this point I'm strongly considering returning everything that can be returned and buying Intel. I'll keep the RAM though, doesn't hurt to have 32GB in there

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Hey! So I got the RAM today and tested it. Issues in both motherboards. On the MSI, I set XMP (but left it at 3600) and then tried to install Windows again. Random restart before I even clicked Install. After that I have not been able to POST the MSI motherboard even after clearing CMOS multiple times (with the battery even because desperate times).

At this point I'm strongly considering returning everything that can be returned and buying Intel. I'll keep the RAM though, doesn't hurt to have 32GB in there

Well, it's an MSI board. Every single MSI board I've ever touched died on me..... seriously, no joke. 

Well if you return everything, we can mark the thread solved XD -

But honestly, I will be forever curious where the actual issue is at. 

Have you pulled the video card and tested with something a little less power hungry?

Maybe that card really draws a lot of slot power??

Or a much larger PSU? 500w would be borderline IMO for a 1070ti. (At least when you can actually use the poor thing....)