My PC Keeps Restarting Itself, Please Help :/

Go to solution Solved by Abdullah Nasir,

Hey, so it was happening due a dead or blown cmos battery, idk if you can see it in the pictures but there is literally 3 metal pins sticking out of both the front and back

3EA0320A-D373-442C-B9D9-09EDD3E60F6A.jpeg

6BC3BCCF-93F5-47D5-BF95-3CBD5B378EB9.jpeg

Hey, so this started happening about three weeks ago when i realized that a cold boot works fine for 8-10 mins then my PC restarts itself once and then i was able to play for 8 hours straight no problem.

I didn't gave this problem much attention at that time for which i now regret heavily. A week or so later, this changed to 2 restarts after a cold boot, so like it will work perfectly fine for 8-10 mins, then it restarts itself and once it reaches the windows logo, it restarts one more time and then its good to go. Now, it just boots completely from a cold boot and will let me run windows for about 6-8 mins and then it'll restart itself, and as soon as the windows 10 logo appears, it again restarts and the same thing keeps going on, it gets stuck in this loop. I went to a local Computer Repair shop and the guy checked my ram, GPU, PSU and Storage Devices. Now he is completely clueless about the problem but i suspect its either the CPU or my motherboard.

Please help me diagnose the problem and suggest a nice cheap fix if you can that'll be awsome

Go the power delivery route more first. meaning power supply and motherboard.

A cpu doesn't work for 8 minutes , restart , then work for 8 hours. they typically never break so try a board and psu and see what you get.

If I had to guess, there's something screwed up in the OS. What you ought to do is try running a live USB or another hard drive to test if it is software or hardware.

You can make a live USB by following this guide. (keep in mind its not Windows, it's Ubuntu Linux, but file transfer/internet browsing can be done by literally everyone. Windows doesn't have live USB)

If the live USB doesn't crash, it's probably your OS, where you can grab your important documents/music/photos and back them up while you do a reinstall of windows. The live USB will help with transfering files; but I'm not sure you can store those on the live USB.

If the live USB does crash, (see if you can put a load on your PC it may be your hardware. most likely an old/bad power supply. It works for booting, but put on a load and it cold crashes. Had a similar story when I put an old power supply with a power hungry GPU.

8 minutes ago, Estiar said:

If I had to guess, there's something screwed up in the OS. What you ought to do is try running a live USB or another hard drive to test if it is software or hardware.

You can make a live USB by following this guide. (keep in mind its not Windows, it's Ubuntu Linux, but file transfer/internet browsing can be done by literally everyone. Windows doesn't have live USB)

If the live USB doesn't crash, it's probably your OS, where you can grab your important documents/music/photos and back them up while you do a reinstall of windows. The live USB will help with transfering files; but I'm not sure you can store those on the live USB.

If the live USB does crash, (see if you can put a load on your PC it may be your hardware. most likely an old/bad power supply. It works for booting, but put on a load and it cold crashes. Had a similar story when I put an old power supply with a power hungry GPU.

I was actually running Windows 11 a few weeks back and i moved to a fresh copy of Windows 10 pro once I encountered this problem

23 minutes ago, emosun said:

Go the power delivery route more first. meaning power supply and motherboard.

A cpu doesn't work for 8 minutes , restart , then work for 8 hours. they typically never break so try a board and psu and see what you get.

Okay ill try that

5 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

this sounds like an updater issue to me. 

Have you checked the windows logs?

Idk how to check them, plus i cannot get into windows now. It even restarts when i have booted from a USB, when il trying to install a fresh copy of windows so idk what to do ://

2 minutes ago, Abdullah Nasir said:

Idk how to check them, plus i cannot get into windows now. It even restarts when i have booted from a USB, when il trying to install a fresh copy of windows so idk what to do ://

So it's probably a bad PSU. What model is it? (you should see it in big letters on the side of it.)

4 minutes ago, Estiar said:

So it's probably a bad PSU. What model is it? (you should see it in big letters on the side of it.)

Ill let you know the model of my PSU but i did checked the whole system with another PSU its still the same problem so i am positive from my side that its not a PSU related problem.

6 hours ago, dilpickle said:

You have a bad Mobo.

Yeah i think so, ill be going to the shop on Monday to get a full inspection and get it fixed.

Hey, so it was happening due a dead or blown cmos battery, idk if you can see it in the pictures but there is literally 3 metal pins sticking out of both the front and back

3EA0320A-D373-442C-B9D9-09EDD3E60F6A.jpeg

6BC3BCCF-93F5-47D5-BF95-3CBD5B378EB9.jpeg