Need a specific DP-Type C adapter

CephDigital

Hi there!

So I got a HP X34 monitor (3440x1440p 165hz) monitor and two laptops - one for gaming (RTX 2070) and the other from work (i5 1135G7). Both have type c DP compatability and TB3 ports. I was hoping to find an adapter that would still drive the display at full resolution and refresh rate and have a USB port to allow for a keyboard to be connected without using the TB3 port. Reason for not the TB3 is because my next gaming laptop will be AMD CPU based and no TB3 for that 馃槙 (and TB3less cables are cheaper)

I'm already using a type c to DP cable to connect the monitor to my laptops and they do work at full resolution and refresh rate. The gaming laptop is a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port (I think).

I've seen some adapters on Amazon that look like they'll do (and even have PD pass through which my work laptop supports) but they say it's only good enough for 4K 60Hz which is less bandwidth than the HP needs. Or am I overthinking it and that 4K 60hz cable is fine? I'm in the UK so a UK seller would be preferred but I am open to importing it.

You just need a USB-C dock/hub that has DisplayPort and USB ports. They're all over Amazon for various prices.聽

They come in two flavors, Thunderbolt and just USB-C so ensure you're getting one that's just USB-C.聽

Depending on how much you want to spend, some oven support USB PD to charge your laptop when its plugged in.

34 minutes ago, rickeo said:

You just need a USB-C dock/hub that has DisplayPort and USB ports. They're all over Amazon for various prices.聽

They come in two flavors, Thunderbolt and just USB-C so ensure you're getting one that's just USB-C.聽

Depending on how much you want to spend, some oven support USB PD to charge your laptop when its plugged in.

Yeah Ive seen this around but would they allow for the full frame rate with my monitor? These hubs are typically rated for 4k 60hz.

5 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

Yeah Ive seen this around but would they allow for the full frame rate with my monitor? These hubs are typically rated for 4k 60hz.

That's up to your laptops support. All these USB-C hubs with DisplayPort are all using the standard USB-C DP-Alt mode and the spec for that is pretty clear.聽https://www.displayport.org/displayport-over-usb-c/

The trouble is finding concrete information about how all this works with every single device. Either you find someone who is running a USB-C to Displayport hub/dock and running a similar res/refresh display or you just buy one and test it.