I don't know how I bricked two sets of G.SKILL Trident Z. Also, please kindly give me a RAM recommendation.

Tataffe
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
4 hours ago, Tataffe said:

Okay, but do you think that the sticks I have are still fine? I just need to disable XMP? Or is this particular set done?

Disable xmp and watch them work just fine.

TL;DR: After bricking two sets of Trident Z RAM, I'd like to know what I did wrong and also need a 32 GB RAM recommendation.

Hello everyone,

I built a system (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3cdPHN) with a Ryzen 5 1600 (14 nm) and a MSI B350M Mortar Arctic about four years ago. Because money, I put in 1x8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 HX424C15FB2/8 and had no issues whatsoever.

A year later, I switched to 2x8 GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4-2400 F4-2400C15D-16GTZR. While not on the QVL from MSI for 1st gen Ryzen, PCPP said it was compatible. Half a year into that, the system started to crash. I came to the conclusion that the RAM was to blame and returned the RAM. I also reverted back to the Kingston stick and the system ran fine again for another 1.5 years.

One year ago, I decided to re-upgrade. I went for 2x16 GB G.SKILL Trident Z neo DDR4-3200 F4-3200C16D-32GTZN. If I recall correctly, the 1x16 GB version of this kit was on the QVL (they changed the format of the QVL since), and PCPP was fine again. Long story short, I am now back on my Kingston stick and the proud owner of another evidently bricked set of G.SKILL RAM.

In the process of diagnosing the second G.SKILL kit, I swapped my CPU to an R5 2600, which I plan to keep (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pf4WbX). This also leads me to believe that my old R5 1600 was fine.

When dealing with my issues, I always ensured my MB was running the latest BIOS, hence it is also on the latest BIOS right now. I used XMP to have the RAM run at it's advertised clocks, because seemingly it didn't do that by itself. I didn't overclock my system at any point.

What did I do wrong? And can you please give me a recommendation for 32 GB of RAM, for the Ryzen 5 2600?

Kind regards,

Tataffe

Edited by Tataffe
Added no overclocking.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

2 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

What did I do wrong?

You turned on XMP on Zen and Zen+ based CPU. Those 2 generation have VICIOUSLY BAD memory controller, that wont clock up to 3200mhz without aggressive voltage AND a binned RAM. Do they run fine at stock JEDEC speed of 2133 or 2666?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

27 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Do they run fine at stock JEDEC speed of 2133 or 2666?

Thanks for your reply! I don't know as I never ran them at that.

42 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

Thanks for your reply! I don't know as I never ran them at that.

Then you really should try them before you conclude "bricked RAM". Its hard to have defective RAM sticks from quite a good model like TridentZ Neo.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

As @SorryClaire said first gen ryzen stuff was stupid hard to get the ram to run fast. This is not your ram being defective but your cpu's memory controller being a pain.

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Then you really should try them before you conclude "bricked RAM". Its hard to have defective RAM sticks from quite a good model like TridentZ Neo.

Okay, but do you think that the sticks I have are still fine? I just need to disable XMP? Or is this particular set done?

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series were real touchy and picky with memory, mostly due to SOC voltages. Chances are you need to up your SOC voltages from Auto to something like 1.1-1.15v to achieve full stability along with enabling XMP. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

33 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series were real touchy and picky with memory, mostly due to SOC voltages. Chances are you need to up your SOC voltages from Auto to something like 1.1-1.15v to achieve full stability along with enabling XMP. 

You know, I never experienced issues with fast memory on Zen+ aside from getting 4000mhz. Just can't uncouple the Infinity Fabric. 3733mhz daily on B-Die 1.360v is super easy on Zen+ though. The system does Not like my SK-Hynix kits, so definitely picky about the die model though.

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You know, I never experienced issues with fast memory on Zen+ aside from getting 4000mhz. Just can't uncouple the Infinity Fabric. 3733mhz daily on B-Die 1.360v is super easy on Zen+ though. The system does Not like my SK-Hynix kits, so definitely picky about the die model though.

wasn't as prevalent on the 2000 series as it was on 1000, but was still there. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 hours ago, Tataffe said:

Disable xmp and watch them work just fine.