WD Black SSD (SN750) underperforming a lot according to UserBenchmark. What could it be?

DCCFan

I'm clueless about SSDs (this is out first one) so would love some suggestions on what I could do to make it perform better. Thanks in advance!

Motherboard is Z170-k by Asus. 

Here's a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.a7fb5283d3a443eed938aa129699ecbe.png

First, disgegard anything UserBenchmark says. You can dig into the details on google or just read this. 

https://ownsnap.com/userbenchmark-is-not-trusted-by-tech-enthusiasts-find-out-why-this-huge-website-has-a-zero-credibility-in-tech-community/

Second, run your own benchmarks with something like CrystalDiskMark. 

Based on the numbers in that UB test you posted, the sequentials do seem low. What motherboard is this connected to and in what slot?

18 minutes ago, rickeo said:

First, disgegard anything UserBenchmark says. You can dig into the details on google or just read this. 

https://ownsnap.com/userbenchmark-is-not-trusted-by-tech-enthusiasts-find-out-why-this-huge-website-has-a-zero-credibility-in-tech-community/

Second, run your own benchmarks with something like CrystalDiskMark. 

Based on the numbers in that UB test you posted, the sequentials do seem low. What motherboard is this connected to and in what slot?

Holy crap, UserBenchmark's editor sounds awful. I remember a few months ago reading a description of an AMD processor that sounded super unprofessional, similar to the "moar cores" butthurt comment and I was really confused, thought maybe they were allowing normal people to edit descriptions on the site (like wiki) and some troll vandalized it. Seems like this dude has it in for AMD LoL  

Will try CrystalDisk and see what it says. The motherboard is an Asus Z170-k and I installed it in the "32gb/s m.2 x4" slot that's below the CPU socket. 

Here's the Crystal Disk benchmark. Will have to compare it with advertised speeds as I have no idea what it should be off the top of my head LoL

cd-benchmark.jpg.e68254c296c91155866fb5c0dfd536b9.jpg

Those sequential QD1 write speeds seem incredibly low. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13760/the-western-digital-wd-black-sn750-ssd-review/7

Much lower than Anandtech was seeing in their testing. Granted they were testing the 1TB model but the difference isn't that drastic. 

For reference, I ran the same exact suite of tests on my 2018-era 500GB Samsung 970 Evo (non-plus) 

image.png.e9d362aaae22c67ddabdd41861f29061.png

20 hours ago, rickeo said:

Those sequential QD1 write speeds seem incredibly low. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13760/the-western-digital-wd-black-sn750-ssd-review/7

Much lower than Anandtech was seeing in their testing. Granted they were testing the 1TB model but the difference isn't that drastic. 

For reference, I ran the same exact suite of tests on my 2018-era 500GB Samsung 970 Evo (non-plus) 

image.png.e9d362aaae22c67ddabdd41861f29061.png

Wow that is a big diffence. What could it be? It's still under warranty thankfully. Could reformatting help?

From the UB and CDM you are underperforming with 4k workloads. That can be CPU-limited in some cases, depending. Could be drive throttling, too.