IDE vs AHCI vs RAID

Axis

Hey everyone  ;)  i've been using RAID mode for 2 years without a problem, but i always wondered if i could or should use AHCI.

Why i use RAID ? well i have an SSD Intel330 120gb only for the OS , and then i have 2x HDD 500gb seagates in RAID0 for all my other stuff and so far no problem, but i was wondering what config in BIOS should i use with my hardware.

The thing is, my motherboard only lets me choose one of the 3 options, IDE, AHCI and RAID...

So my question is, what mode should i use and if i choose to run in AHCI will i still be able to RAID the 2 HDDs ?

(i haven't tryed changing it to AHCI yet because i'm afraid to loose the array and all my stuff in it) :unsure:

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

not sure on this:

IDE is the old standard, you should pick this for older Operating Systems like XP.
AHCI is the newer standard.

and RAID is a mode of AHCI where it does it's RAID things..

again, not sure....

if you set you SATA controller from RAID to SATA or IDE you will lose your disk array and probably your data...

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

How did you set up your array? Did you do it in BIOS RAID config, or did you set it up in windows disk manager?

Usually if you're not using RAID on your boot drive you can set the BIOS to AHCI (especially for SSD's) and then set up a RAID array for secondary disks within windows disk manager.

If you set the array up before getting to windows (I think it's ctrl + i when set to RAID mode) I wouldn't recommend changing it back to AHCI mode

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

and RAID is a mode of AHCI where it does it's RAID things..

that is my big question, if the RAID mode is just like AHCI but with the option to make arrays, if so, then i dont need to change anything, right?

How did you set up your array? Did you do it in BIOS RAID config, or did you set it up in windows disk manager?

Usually if you're not using RAID on your boot drive you can set the BIOS to AHCI (especially for SSD's) and then set up a RAID array for secondary disks within windows disk manager.

If you set the array up before getting to windows (I think it's ctrl + i when set to RAID mode) I wouldn't recommend changing it back to AHCI mode

yep i did setup the array before any OS was installed on the SSD, ctrl+something in the BIOS raid config

the arrays made inside windows with the windows disk manager app are equal in performance vs the arrays made with BIOS raid config ?

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

that is my big question, if the RAID mode is just like AHCI but with the option to make arrays, if so, then i dont need to change anything, right?

yep i did setup the array before any OS was installed on the SSD, ctrl+something in the BIOS raid config

the arrays made inside windows with the windows disk manager app are equal in performance vs the arrays made with BIOS raid config ?

In that case then you should be fine using it as you have it now. I can't imagine that there would be any performance difference between the BIOS RAID and Windows RAID, and it won't be doing any harm to your SSD (like IDE would do).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :P

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

In that case then you should be fine using it as you have it now. I can't imagine that there would be any performance difference between the BIOS RAID and Windows RAID, and it won't be doing any harm to your SSD (like IDE would do).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :P

roger that! all of this because i'm finally going to try wind 8.1 and always wondered about the controler modes, but i guess i'll just leave it as it is ^_^

nope

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I know that this is not related to "storage" but its a follow up on what I was trying to achieve... stepping in to windows 8.1

I've been trying to get win 8.1 to work for hours... but I think this is a fail for me :(

I contacted AMD to make sure that my old but trustworthy HD4890 would work on windows 8 or 8.1 and they said that would work with no problems... even after downloading the official drivers from their website I was still skeptical.

Well my friends, after hours of trying different driver versions for 7, 8, 8.1 of normal, beta and legacy... no luck, I guess I'm going back to win 7

srzl.jpg

You're going to have to go through your drivers as one might be conflicting with your AMD video driver. I know PITA but welcome to computers.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Ok i've manually installed one beta driver and got CCC to work, but now my TV looses sound after a few seconds playing a movie, i have a monitor connected to the DVI port and a TV to the HDMI... must be another conflict with the HDMI sound driver..

The joy of new OS's and old hardware :(