what will event viewer say if pc crashes from high cpu temps?

tuunade98

Just as the title says.. I was just playing battlefield 2042 and had a complete random pc crash, it just restarted like as if my cpu temp reached the limit. 

I'm playing with msi after burner on and only notice the cpu ever reaching about 75c which should be fine right? I think i did at one point see it reach 80ish (degrees celsius) but that was only once and didn't see it go that high ever again...

I got a 5800x + nzxt kraken x63 cooler...

Event viewer shows a generic kernal power error event ID 41....

Other then testing my pbo2 values per core this is the only time my pc has crashed like this during normal use/gaming. I've been playing 2042 all day and this was the only crash i had...

Your pbo values probably aren't as stable as you think. It may be stable enough to not crash the majority of the time, but evidently 2042 used the cpu in just the right way to trigger that dormant instability...Especially since you say your computer restarted when it happened...I'd personally run it at stock and see how it fairs, or adjust pbo values accordingly. Reaching 80c isn't enough to trigger the temp protection, so I really don't think it's temp related at all. If you're insistent on running an oc I would stress test it with various known programs such as Prime95, OCCT, Linpack etc, to make sure whatever overclock you're going for is "truly" stable. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

1 minute ago, Coachdude said:

Your pbo values probably aren't as stable as you think. It may be stable enough to not crash the majority of the time, but evidently 2042 used the cpu in just the right way to trigger that dormant instability...Especially since you say your computer restarted when it happened...I'd personally run it at stock and see how it fairs, or adjust pbo values accordingly. Reaching 80c isn't enough to trigger the temp protection, so I really don't think it's temp related at all. If you're insistent on running an oc I would stress test it with various known programs such as Prime95, OCCT, Linpack etc, to make sure whatever overclock you're going for is "truly" stable. 

i didn't overclock i undervolted pretty much lol.. though if it was due to unstable cpu voltages or wahtever wouldn't event viewer mention so? I do remember having this issue and event viewer did say something about the cpu, but this time its just a kernel power error.

2 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

i didn't overclock i undervolted pretty much lol.. though if it was due to unstable cpu voltages or wahtever wouldn't event viewer mention so? I do remember having this issue and event viewer did say something about the cpu, but this time its just a kernel power error.

Same difference effectively. You go too low or too high one way or the other and you're bound to find instability somewhere if not properly tested for. That being said Kernel Power could have just been a power outage of some kind too. If you're confident that your settings are stable I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had power go out here for short bursts at a time and I've seen the kernel power error in event viewer as well. 

What exactly does the error say in event viewer when you click on it? If it says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." It lists some possibilities in the error itself. Like I said it could be an unstable oc/undervolt or it could have been something as simple as a power surge/loss. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

where can i see the actual error. I do have my pc connected to a UPS.. and this is the first time a crash like this has happened. ummm would you like me to attach the event viewer dump file or something here?

18 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

where can i see the actual error. I do have my pc connected to a UPS.. and this is the first time a crash like this has happened. ummm would you like me to attach the event viewer dump file or something here?

If the pc is connected via a UPS that would then imply your undervolt probably isn't fully stable. I don't have much experience overclocking and or undervolting personally, as I run all my hardware at stock, so perhaps someone more knowledgeable could chime in further, but from everything you've told me I'd guess your undervolt again probably isn't fully stable, and 2042 just exposed that. You can either test more/play more and see if you end up with any errors/further crashes, and adjust your undervolt accordingly, or revert to stock settings and see what happens. Things like this are really difficult to troubleshoot over a text based forum just because of how generic the error is, it could be a multitude of things, you'll just have to check and test on your own. Sorry if this isn't very helpful but there's only so much one can do without physical access to the machine. 

I'll repeat though, it sounds to me like an unstable undervolt/overclock. Whatever you end up doing I hope you get it sorted. Cheers. =)

Main PC :