Extremely high temps on CPU

TB_GB

Hey

I’ve brought a new computer a couple of months from a system integrator, only been playing newer graphically intensive games in the last week or so and I’ve noticed extremely high temps on the CPU. Every time I’ve checked with CPUID it has been at least 102C with the highest 107C. The case is the Kolink Stronghold and the intake fan was put at the bottom at the front. The rest of the temps on the motherboard seem fine and the GPU seems to be getting to about 90C.

Kolink Stronghold

Ryzen 3600

Nvidia 2060

Is what is needed a more fans or a new a new CPU cooler?

My PC AMD Ryzen 3600, Vetroo V5, Nvidia 2060, Lian-Li LANCOOL II .

Prob a combo of new cpu cooler and new fans

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

5 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Prob a combo of new cpu cooler and new fans

Idk about that he said a single intake fan from bottom of case . He might need to get a new case to start with . That's why I asked for pics of case to see if it's a fan issue or a case issue

I meant at the front but the bottom of where 3 fans could go. 

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

Yikes, that case is a bit restricted. I'd try putting the front fan in the top as an exhaust.

Is it the stock 3600 cooler? If so you're looking at low to mid 80s no matter how good your airflow is.

Do you have budget for more fans and possibly a new CPU cooler? Spending about $35 on a 5 pack of Arctic P12 fans would be a decent investment. Then maybe another 30-50 on a better CPU cooler as well.

There's also a chance you have a bad mount on the CPU cooler and just need to repaste and remount.

If I were you, I'd pull off the side panel until you can get the temps under control. That will also tell you if it's airflow related or a bad CPU cooler mount.

That looks like a front exhaust and not a front intake. Are there no other case fans? Can you try repositioning the case fan at the rear as exhaust? 

What cpu cooler do you have? 

How are temps affected with the side panel removed? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There is a exhaust at the back. I will try without the side panel tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

I tried running the computer without the side panel and flipped the fan around. Even without the side panel the CPU hit 95.1C and that was only playing for about 15 minutes.

Should I be looking at getting new fans or replacing the CPU Cooler.

Not really much air movement there.. If you don't have any fans to stick in it, I would take the side panel off and lay it on its backside and let nature take its course. Natural convection that is.. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

4 hours ago, TB_GB said:

I tried running the computer without the side panel and flipped the fan around. Even without the side panel the CPU hit 95.1C and that was only playing for about 15 minutes.

Should I be looking at getting new fans or replacing the CPU Cooler.

What cooler? What's being used to read temps?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I think the AMD Wraith stealth the stock cooler that came with it and I've been using HW Monitor.

With Kolink being a European brand unavailable on this side of the Atlantic, I'm going to guess you're somewhere in Europe.  I'm running a Noctua NH-U12S on a Ryzen 9 5950X and my thermals are decent.  The same model I have can be had on Amazon.de for 57.40 EUR.  I also filled my Phanteks P600S with all the fans it could fit, intaking through the front and top of the case and exhausting out the back.  The Stronghold can fit a 120mm fan in the back, 2x140mm fans up top, and 3x120mm fans in front.  You may also sacrifice any of those for an AIO in any of those configurations, but I wouldn't use a 120mm AIO.  They're not great.

In theory, the integrator may have cheaped out on thermal paste.  You could pull the cooler, clean it and the CPU heat spreader, and replace with some quality compound, like Arctic Silver or similar.

3 hours ago, TB_GB said:

I think the AMD Wraith stealth the stock cooler that came with it and I've been using HW Monitor.

Check and make sure that the cooler is fully and evenly tightened. 

A new thermal paste application can also help but a new cooler may be a better investment. 

6 hours ago, Vicarian said:

With Kolink being a European brand unavailable on this side of the Atlantic, I'm going to guess you're somewhere in Europe.  I'm running a Noctua NH-U12S on a Ryzen 9 5950X and my thermals are decent.  The same model I have can be had on Amazon.de for 57.40 EUR.  I also filled my Phanteks P600S with all the fans it could fit, intaking through the front and top of the case and exhausting out the back.  The Stronghold can fit a 120mm fan in the back, 2x140mm fans up top, and 3x120mm fans in front.  You may also sacrifice any of those for an AIO in any of those configurations, but I wouldn't use a 120mm AIO.  They're not great.

In theory, the integrator may have cheaped out on thermal paste.  You could pull the cooler, clean it and the CPU heat spreader, and replace with some quality compound, like Arctic Silver or similar.

I did have a look at your case and it seems a lot better designed than mine because it has grates on both sides rather than one like mine, I've spoken to the integrator and there going to send me so more compound but I think I may just go for a new cooler and maybe add fans at the same time. I had been thinking of building it myself before looking at buying the parts separately i.e. graphics card would cost, now I kind of wishing I had.

3 hours ago, TB_GB said:

I did have a look at your case and it seems a lot better designed than mine because it has grates on both sides rather than one like mine, I've spoken to the integrator and there going to send me so more compound but I think I may just go for a new cooler and maybe add fans at the same time. I had been thinking of building it myself before looking at buying the parts separately i.e. graphics card would cost, now I kind of wishing I had.

If you do decide to swap cases, while the P600S comes highly recommended, it's very heavy.  It's the heaviest case I've ever owned, but also the nicest.  It has a lot of good features that make building in it very easy, and its highly customizable.  If you want to make a giant NAS, it has space for 6 HDDs and around 10 SSDs.  You'll have to purchase additional mounts from Phanteks, though.  It ships with 2 SSD mounts and 4 HDD mounts.  If you want to run two different systems in it, you can.  Their US support is top notch as well.  Not sure how they are in Europe.

I've built another system in a Phanteks case that has a form factor similar to the Stronghold, which is the P300.  It's much lighter and costs about a third of what the P600 does.  It's still a good case, though, and you can still get a full ATX board in and it's still relatively roomy.  It can fit 2x140mm fans in front, a single 140mm fan up top, and a single 120mm fan in back.  Since this system is pretty old, I didn't really put it under load.  A family member will only use it for light internet browsing, so thermals aren't really a concern.  Only reason I filled the fans is because the 140mm ones came from my P600S.  I swapped all the fans in it for the same model.  The ones that came with it were quite difficult to find.

20211115_163045.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 2:44 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Hi ran the new test with AIDA64 for 15 minutes with temps recorded with AIDA64 and HWMonitor. The other temps were from playing games Guardians of the Galaxy and COD Vanguard 105C and 107C respectively on the Nvidia recommend settings.

Capture.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 11:09 PM, TB_GB said:

Hi ran the new test with AIDA64 for 15 minutes with temps recorded with AIDA64 and HWMonitor. The other temps were from playing games Guardians of the Galaxy and COD Vanguard 105C and 107C respectively on the Nvidia recommend settings.

That may be a faulty reading. I don't recommend HWMonitor. HWinfo or Ryzen Master would be better. 

Are you using default motherboard settings?

Undervolting may can also help lower temps. I'd recommend aiming for a -0.1v offset and see if that affects performance compared to stock using software like Cinebench R23. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:04 AM, WoodenMarker said:

That may be a faulty reading. I don't recommend HWMonitor. HWinfo or Ryzen Master would be better. 

Are you using default motherboard settings?

Undervolting may can also help lower temps. I'd recommend aiming for a -0.1v offset and see if that affects performance compared to stock using software like Cinebench R23. 

I tried to use Ryzen Master but the program doesn't work and trying to upgrade doesn't work either.

Its the standard motherboard settings.

8 hours ago, TB_GB said:

I tried to use Ryzen Master but the program doesn't work and trying to upgrade doesn't work either.

What do you mean by it not working? Is it failing to install? What upgrade are you referring to? 

The front of that case isn’t helping at all. You need air forcibly sucked into your case & that front panel isn’t allowing that to happen.

Try taking the front panel off & see how the temps change. Move your front fan to the upper position so it points directly to the CPU & compare temps. If you have a spare fan, add it to the front (lower) & compare temps.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:43 PM, WoodenMarker said:

What do you mean by it not working? Is it failing to install? What upgrade are you referring to? 

I meant update by getting the update from AMD website and it says a newer version is installed on my computer