League of Legends on linux?

Go to solution Solved by Flaccid Sausage,

I write this to document my findings. If you wand to play league on linux, don't. You are better of having a dual boot system, you will have applications that only work on windows and noone bothered, or simply isn't possible to make it work on linux, my most recent was PowerDesigner.

If you really want to try League on the penguin, go for the lutris version, that's the most consistent. But beware it may (probably will) break every patch. Make sure you don't log-in after the install, close then reopen. If you are stuck check these out (I'm a manjaro user so this is what I know):

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-install-league-of-legends-in-manjaro/101608

If lutris just refuses to bend, try this snap version:

https://snapcraft.io/install/leagueoflegends/manjaro

I'm on Manjaro with kde, and I was really happy to see that 99% of the things I need to daily is available and sometimes easier to do than on windows. League id the only thing that really holds me back, because that is the only game that everyone in my friend group plays, so we play together and have a chat daily there. First, I installed lutris (from pacman not github, not sure if there is a difference) and followed the install guide, with closing the client before logging in and all.

Didn't work. Then I found this guide with snap and starting it with --devmode. Didn't work either. After that I said f*ck it and found a guide to compile it myself, as you can guess didn't work either. The thing is it’s the same problem 3 times. The launcher loads in, I log in, there is a screen to choose what riot game to launch, then screen where there is a clip playing and on the bottom left corner a blue start button. I click on the button, the window disappeared except a small piece from the middle (a freeze frame from the video playing, like a centre 9th), then there is nothing happening, I waited 30 mins once, nothing. There is a riot games logo on the right of the system tray, if I click on it the launch window comes back up, the one with the blue start button, however the button is greyed out and can't click on it.

I have no idea what to do, not even what troubleshooting steps to make. The only thing that now came to me as I was writing this is I updated the kernel and as I'm on an arch based distro, it might not have been a good idea. I would be glad if someone could confirm a kernel version where league works.

I'm so lost of what to do, I would very much welcome even a comment on where to search for more information, or someone who may be able to help.

I don't own LoL, so I can't test it myself, but have you seen this? https://old.reddit.com/r/leagueoflinux/wiki/index

As far as I can see, the game includes some anti-cheat technology, which often doesn't play well with Linux, Since the Wiki mentions August 2021 at the very top, and links to instructions I would hope they are up-to-date.

1 hour ago, Flaccid Sausage said:

The only thing that now came to me as I was writing this is I updated the kernel and as I'm on an arch based distro, it might not have been a good idea.

Do you mean you compiled your own kernel, or you updated to a newer version of the kernel that came with the distribution?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

No, I only tried to compile the game. I will try whats on the reddit thread and write my findings.

• 2 months later...

I'm writing this for anyone reading in the future. I could not find what the problem was. My best guess is due to a recent league update league was unplayable on linux for a while. A week or so after my last comment, league was working on lutris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 9:46 AM, Flaccid Sausage said:

I'm on Manjaro with kde, and I was really happy to see that 99% of the things I need to daily is available and sometimes easier to do than on windows. League id the only thing that really holds me back, because that is the only game that everyone in my friend group plays, so we play together and have a chat daily there. First, I installed lutris (from pacman not github, not sure if there is a difference) and followed the install guide, with closing the client before logging in and all.

Didn't work. Then I found this guide with snap and starting it with --devmode. Didn't work either. After that I said f*ck it and found a guide to compile it myself, as you can guess didn't work either. The thing is it’s the same problem 3 times. The launcher loads in, I log in, there is a screen to choose what riot game to launch, then screen where there is a clip playing and on the bottom left corner a blue start button. I click on the button, the window disappeared except a small piece from the middle (a freeze frame from the video playing, like a centre 9th), then there is nothing happening, I waited 30 mins once, nothing. There is a riot games logo on the right of the system tray, if I click on it the launch window comes back up, the one with the blue start button, however the button is greyed out and can't click on it.

I have no idea what to do, not even what troubleshooting steps to make. The only thing that now came to me as I was writing this is I updated the kernel and as I'm on an arch based distro, it might not have been a good idea. I would be glad if someone could confirm a kernel version where league works.

Bottles, really a great utility to run most windows games on Linux. There are other ways as well to be frank. Atm busy on academics, but I could hopefully be able to help you run League after a week or so as I get free.

• 1 year later...

I write this to document my findings. If you wand to play league on linux, don't. You are better of having a dual boot system, you will have applications that only work on windows and noone bothered, or simply isn't possible to make it work on linux, my most recent was PowerDesigner.

If you really want to try League on the penguin, go for the lutris version, that's the most consistent. But beware it may (probably will) break every patch. Make sure you don't log-in after the install, close then reopen. If you are stuck check these out (I'm a manjaro user so this is what I know):

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-install-league-of-legends-in-manjaro/101608

If lutris just refuses to bend, try this snap version:

https://snapcraft.io/install/leagueoflegends/manjaro