Docking station question

DreamCat04

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding the use uf a thunderbolt docking station. Does any brand docking station work with my HP laptop? It should work, right? The one I plan to use is the Think Pad Dock 2nd gen from Lenovo

In theory, yes.

Assuming your USB-C port truly is also a thunderbolt port and the dock with the USB-C connector is also definitely a thunderbolt dock.

Reason I stress this is i've help multiple users who assumed their type-c ports were thunderbolt ports when they're not.

Theoretically? It should work, providing you have the right drivers.

In reality, perhaps not so much. Lenovo especially is a problem as they have a nasty tendency to whitelist their products, and it may very well refuse to work with a non-lenovo system.

Any reason you want to go with a non-HP option?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, whispous said:

In theory, yes.

Assuming your USB-C port truly is also a thunderbolt port and the dock with the USB-C connector is also definitely a thunderbolt dock.

Reason I stress this is i've help multiple users who assumed their type-c ports were thunderbolt ports when they're not.

Yes, it says in the quick start guide of my laptop that the two USB-C ports are Thunderbolt with charging

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Any reason you want to go with a non-HP option?

The HP ones that have my desired functionality are either too expensive for me or have features I won't use. I have found one that would suit my needs. 60 Watts of charging, at least one USB type A, an audio output, at least one display output via either HDMI or DisplayPort and an ethernet jack. This is the one I mean: i-tec TB3TRAVELDOCKPD (1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 60 W, USB A) - digitec

1 minute ago, DreamCat04 said:

The HP ones that have my desired functionality are either too expensive for me or have features I won't use. I have found one that would suit my needs. 60 Watts of charging, at least one USB type A, an audio output, at least one display output via either HDMI or DisplayPort and an ethernet jack. This is the one I mean: i-tec TB3TRAVELDOCKPD (1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 60 W, USB A) - digitec

Personally, given my experience with Lenovo products, it's a risk, but if the place you are buying it from has a return policy, then go for it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.