Forum No Longer Making Sound Notification After Forum Update Nov 5, 2021

CommanderAlex
Go to solution Solved by AJJaxNet,

Hey Everyone,

We still haven't decided on what to do with this bug report yet. In one of the updates released by our forum software provider, they yanked the notification sound feature out completely, to leave space to their "new and improved" push notification system, so technically, it's not really a bug.

We're looking into the new push notification system to see if it's working as expected, which would actually alleviate the need for a notification sound, since it would be handled at the OS level.

We'll keep you guys know of what we decide to do after our testing.

Update : Push notifications seems to work fine from my limited experience. Seems like they might not actually work on IOS / Safari so that something to validate. People interested in having notifications should head to https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/ and click on "Enable push notifications" on the bottom of the page. Don't forget to change your preferences to include the "push" action in each category that you wish to be notified for, else it won't do anything!

Browser, version and OS: 

Google Chrome Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit) 

Windows 11 Home 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Sitting on any forum thread or the home screen will not make a notification to any followed threads, reactions from other members, or when members quote my post. 

What happened?

No audible sound made to notify me that someone quoted me. 

What did you expect to happen?

An audible sound to be made. 

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: N/A

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: N/A

Any other relevant details:

This stopped after the forum update. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Same for me. 

Yup, it is the same here when you replied on here. I have to keep a tab open on my screen completely and not hidden to see if there is any notification. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Can this be a feature?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Can this be a feature?

I was wondering if it was and maybe it was just disabled by default, but I can't find anything for an audible noise upon notification under Account Settings or Notification Settings. 

5 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I was wondering if it was and maybe it was just disabled by default, but I can't find anything for an audible noise upon notification under Account Settings or Notification Settings. 

I know that oftentimes I wish it wouldn't do it; sometimes I idle the browser on my phone and I'll let it sleep. The browser notifications will startle me because its so different than the normal phone notification.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

I know that oftentimes I wish it wouldn't do it; sometimes I idle the browser on my phone and I'll let it sleep. The browser notifications will startle me because its so different than the normal phone notification.

I know sometimes I heard a brief sound on my phone even with it on vibrate for volume and media (S10+) but that was before the forum update today. I have yet to see if it does the sound notification if I open it up on my phone. 

On 11/5/2021 at 3:46 PM, CommanderAlex said:

I know sometimes I heard a brief sound on my phone even with it on vibrate for volume and media (S10+) but that was before the forum update today. I have yet to see if it does the sound notification if I open it up on my phone. 

Still no sound notification on my phone. 

Hey Everyone,

We still haven't decided on what to do with this bug report yet. In one of the updates released by our forum software provider, they yanked the notification sound feature out completely, to leave space to their "new and improved" push notification system, so technically, it's not really a bug.

We're looking into the new push notification system to see if it's working as expected, which would actually alleviate the need for a notification sound, since it would be handled at the OS level.

Update : Push notifications seems to work fine from my limited experience. Seems like they might not actually work on IOS / Safari so that something to validate. People interested in having notifications should head to https://linustechtips.com/notifications/options/ and click on "Enable push notifications" on the bottom of the page. Don't forget to change your preferences to include the "push" action in each category that you wish to be notified for, else it won't do anything!

6 hours ago, AJJaxNet said:

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for the information!!!