My first pc build

1 hour ago, Sheymin said:

Alright last question, this is the build I plan on going with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sN7Xgt. At the very bottom it says something about my motherboard needing a bios upgrade prior to cpu installation, and might not be compatible with my cpu. is that something to worry about or is that on the realm of overclocking which I already prepared to do? Thanks!

before I go, is there a real reason why you're going AMD

do you already own the motherboard?

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

At the very bottom it says something about my motherboard needing a bios upgrade prior to cpu installation, and might not be compatible with my cpu. is that something to worry about

Most likely not. You have to check if your mainboard upgrade the bios without having a CPU.

or my cpu cooler are there any alternatives fan you reccomemend but in the black color to match the color scheme?

For instance Noctua (they have chromax.black versions of their coolers), check here:

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail

Or be quiet's coolers are looking nice as well, but don't perform as good as the Noctua coolers.

They're all more expensive and you have to make sure that you have enough clearance for your memory.

Btw, some feedback:

you might want to check out Intel's new CPUs, overall you might pay a bit more now (also because of the mainboard), but they have a new socket, AFAIK the new AMD CPUs will introduce a new socket as well. So in terms of being able to upgrade you might want to reconsider. If you like AMD and need a computer now, don't worry about that.

The case already comes with three pre installed case fans - the fans you chose are relatively expensive, I guess you only need one additional for the moment (as exhaust), and I don't think you gain much for adding two more. You can always add fans later.

Make sure the mainboard supports the memory (both mainboard and memory manufacturer do tests, check their websites). Would be a bit of a pain if you can't run the memory not at their speed. Also make sure you check for the kit, like 2x16GB.

2TB SSD is great, but my 750GB SSD "always" has room (I just uninstall games that I haven't played for two years). If you need it for stuff like video editing, this is fine.

Mainboard: That's where most people waste their money. Make sure you really need that stuff. It has like 5 PCI-E slots, 2.5GB/s ethernet, WiFi, .. if you need that stuff, or like the looks, this is fine.

I think there is still some tweaking to do, to either make your build fit for the future, maybe get you a better monitor - 240Hz is like nice, but having 1440p/144Hz is imho nicer 😛, or maybe even a better GPU.

48 minutes ago, yesyes said:

before I go, is there a real reason why you're going AMD

do you already own the motherboard?

Nope this is my first experience building my own computer, I don't really know much

34 minutes ago, slowy said:

Most likely not. You have to check if your mainboard upgrade the bios without having a CPU.

For instance Noctua (they have chromax.black versions of their coolers), check here:

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail

Or be quiet's coolers are looking nice as well, but don't perform as good as the Noctua coolers.

They're all more expensive and you have to make sure that you have enough clearance for your memory.

Btw, some feedback:

you might want to check out Intel's new CPUs, overall you might pay a bit more now (also because of the mainboard), but they have a new socket, AFAIK the new AMD CPUs will introduce a new socket as well. So in terms of being able to upgrade you might want to reconsider. If you like AMD and need a computer now, don't worry about that.

The case already comes with three pre installed case fans - the fans you chose are relatively expensive, I guess you only need one additional for the moment (as exhaust), and I don't think you gain much for adding two more. You can always add fans later.

Make sure the mainboard supports the memory (both mainboard and memory manufacturer do tests, check their websites). Would be a bit of a pain if you can't run the memory not at their speed. Also make sure you check for the kit, like 2x16GB.

2TB SSD is great, but my 750GB SSD "always" has room (I just uninstall games that I haven't played for two years). If you need it for stuff like video editing, this is fine.

Mainboard: That's where most people waste their money. Make sure you really need that stuff. It has like 5 PCI-E slots, 2.5GB/s ethernet, WiFi, .. if you need that stuff, or like the looks, this is fine.

I think there is still some tweaking to do, to either make your build fit for the future, maybe get you a better monitor - 240Hz is like nice, but having 1440p/144Hz is imho nicer 😛, or maybe even a better GPU.

Thanks for the feedback, i'm trying to make this build perfect for me without wasting extra money, so a couple questions. When the say the motherboard has 5 pci-e slots, that refers to where the gpu will be hooked up right? If thats the case do I only need one pci-e slot if im using 1 gpu? Also what does the 2.5gb/ethernet refer to. Is that how many ports it has to plug an ethernet cable in. (I plan on playing on ethernet, but worst case scenario I have to play on wifi). Last question, how do you test the motherboard, and memory, I'm on msi's site right now and can't seem to find it. 

14 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Nope this is my first experience building my own computer, I don't really know much

intel 12th gen just released, and does beat the best AMD has (for now, at least), that's why I suggested going for this instead

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4mWZkX

the 12600k really was a surprise, and even beat the 5950x in certain tests, so I thought I would give my recommendation to get it instead

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

1 hour ago, tuckerteaman said:

your cpu should be compatible with the mobo that you picked out according to this: 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550-GAMING-CARBON-WIFI.html#support-main-block-qvl

if it doesn't work, then you can always just flash the bios: 

Thanks, does the msi website show if the memory i picked out is compatible too?

6 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Thanks for the feedback, i'm trying to make this build perfect for me without wasting extra money, so a couple questions. When the say the motherboard has 5 pci-e slots, that refers to where the gpu will be hooked up right? If thats the case do I only need one pci-e slot if im using 1 gpu?

Yes, the GPU almost always needs a PCI-E x16 slot. You only need one, in that case, but most mainboards have around 2-4 I think (also shorter ones). Always a good idea to have one or two additional PCI-E slots, like for instance if your onboard ethernet breaks (like mine did), or you want a dedicated sound card. My new mainboard will have WiFi, even though I don't need it - but since I'm working at home more often now, I will at least be able to connect my PC to my smartphone when my ISP breaks down. But those were my personal considerations.

8 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Also what does the 2.5gb/ethernet refer to. Is that how many ports it has to plug an ethernet cable in.

Yesn't, it's how fast the single ethernet port is. Most mainboards "only" have 1GB/s, most modern routers will have 1GB/s, too. 2.5gb/s is nice, don't get me wrong. If my ISP would provide me with 2.5GB/s, I would probably take it and also upgrade my router 😛 - but if you got an 1GB/s or even 100MBit/s router and no other devices in your network you need copy data from/to often, 1GB/s is imho perfectly fine.

16 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Last question, how do you test the motherboard, and memory, I'm on msi's site right now and can't seem to find it. 

Found it here: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562840211/F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC-Qvl  🙂

8 minutes ago, slowy said:

Yes, the GPU almost always needs a PCI-E x16 slot. You only need one, in that case, but most mainboards have around 2-4 I think (also shorter ones). Always a good idea to have one or two additional PCI-E slots, like for instance if your onboard ethernet breaks (like mine did), or you want a dedicated sound card. My new mainboard will have WiFi, even though I don't need it - but since I'm working at home more often now, I will at least be able to connect my PC to my smartphone when my ISP breaks down. But those were my personal considerations.

Yesn't, it's how fast the single ethernet port is. Most mainboards "only" have 1GB/s, most modern routers will have 1GB/s, too. 2.5gb/s is nice, don't get me wrong. If my ISP would provide me with 2.5GB/s, I would probably take it and also upgrade my router 😛 - but if you got an 1GB/s or even 100MBit/s router and no other devices in your network you need copy data from/to often, 1GB/s is imho perfectly fine.

Found it here: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562840211/F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC-Qvl  🙂

do you know if there is a way to check if my motherboard has 1gb/s or 2.5gb/s

15 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

do you know if there is a way to check if my motherboard has 1gb/s or 2.5gb/s

1. Go to msi.com
  2. Products -> Motherboards -> MPG
  3. Filter chipset -> B550
  4. Click your mainboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON
  5. Click Specifications
  6. Scroll down a bit, then you can click "DETAIL" - here you find all the features. The ethernet-part is in the "back panel ports" section.

8 hours ago, Sheymin said:

Thanks, does the msi website show if the memory i picked out is compatible too?

i have no clue, but you don't really need to check. your memory should work with this board, otherwise pc part picker would've mentioned it in their incompatibility notes. 

11 hours ago, tuckerteaman said:

i have no clue, but you don't really need to check. your memory should work with this board, otherwise pc part picker would've mentioned it in their incompatibility notes. 

Do you think it would be worth to get the 5800x instead of the 5600x(since I plan on streaming), for only 80 dollars more, and do you have any ideas about the pricing of gpus (espceially) and other items on Black Friday/Christmas?

19 hours ago, slowy said:
  1. Go to msi.com
  5. Click Specifications
  6. Scroll down a bit, then you can click "DETAIL" - here you find all the features. The ethernet-part is in the "back panel ports" section.

Do you think it would be worth to get the 5800x instead of the 5600x(since I plan on streaming), for only 80 dollars more, and do you have any ideas about the pricing of gpus (espceially) and other items on Black Friday/Christmas?

13 hours ago, tuckerteaman said:

Im also looking at getting the Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard over my current motherboard 

MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard. The giabyte motherboard is 20$ cheaper but some features are not on it, do you know if I will need the extra features on the msi motherboard?

21 hours ago, slowy said:
  1. Go to msi.com
  5. Click Specifications

Im also looking at getting the Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard over my current motherboard 

MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard. The giabyte motherboard is 20$ cheaper but some features are not on it, do you know if I will need the extra features on the msi motherboard?

14 hours ago, tuckerteaman said:

also do you know if i should go with display port, or hdmi? I plan on playing games at 1o80p 240 fps, while streaming. Also looking for a good usb cable since I play on controller and want a wired connection.

3 hours ago, Sheymin said:

Mmmh hard to tell, I think for gaming itself, it's not really worth it, for gaming + streaming I'm actually not sure, probably is with all the other running programs you need? But definitely for content creation. No idea about Black Friday and Christmas, on Black Friday you could probably get some nice deals.

The 5800x gets hotter, make sure you get a good enough cooler 🙂

GPU's I don't know... Btw, I just checked the FPS you can squeeze out on a 3060 in fortnite - I don't think you can get your 240fps@low settings on this one. If you really want to get those 240fps, you probably need a 3070. And I think it's doable with your current parts list 🙂

The giabyte motherboard is 20$ cheaper but some features are not on it, do you know if I will need the extra features on the msi motherboard?

I don't know about the requirements for streaming... I think for streaming it comes mostly down to USB-Ports? You can for instance use this comparison page:

https://pangoly.com/en/compare/motherboard/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-carbon-wifi-vs-gigabyte-b550-aorus-elite-v2

I would also check for cheaper ones, you can waste a lot of money for things you don't need. I have like 5 PCI-E slots and I have never used more than two.

also do you know if i should go with display port, or hdmi?

Hmmm I think if you want to use G-Sync you need DisplayPort, at least my monitor doesn't support G-Sync over HDMI. But other than that it makes no difference.

27 minutes ago, slowy said:

Mmmh hard to tell, I think for gaming itself, it's not really worth it, for gaming + streaming I'm actually not sure, probably is with all the other running programs you need? But definitely for content creation. No idea about Black Friday and Christmas, on Black Friday you could probably get some nice deals.

The 5800x gets hotter, make sure you get a good enough cooler 🙂

GPU's I don't know... Btw, I just checked the FPS you can squeeze out on a 3060 in fortnite - I don't think you can get your 240fps@low settings on this one. If you really want to get those 240fps, you probably need a 3070. And I think it's doable with your current parts list 🙂

I don't know about the requirements for streaming... I think for streaming it comes mostly down to USB-Ports? You can for instance use this comparison page:

https://pangoly.com/en/compare/motherboard/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-carbon-wifi-vs-gigabyte-b550-aorus-elite-v2

I would also check for cheaper ones, you can waste a lot of money for things you don't need. I have like 5 PCI-E slots and I have never used more than two.

Hmmm I think if you want to use G-Sync you need DisplayPort, at least my monitor doesn't support G-Sync over HDMI. But other than that it makes no difference.

Thanks for the feedback, will the noctua nhu12s be good enough for the 5800x? or can i add the nhu12s with like 6 case fans and it will be alright?

33 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Thanks for the feedback, will the noctua nhu12s be good enough for the 5800x? or can i add the nhu12s with like 6 case fans and it will be alright?

Hmmm... Hard to tell. It's most likely enough if you only play games, but if you do content creation stuffs that brings the CPU to full load for a while, it's probably really close. Personally, I'd go for the NH-D15S, just to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 5:45 PM, slowy said:

Hmmm... Hard to tell. It's most likely enough if you only play games, but if you do content creation stuffs that brings the CPU to full load for a while, it's probably really close. Personally, I'd go for the NH-D15S, just to be sure.

I'm getting close to the day of my pc buil, and Ive seen alot of things about usb-c ports, and usb-a, and usb 3.1 and etc. Is there any difference between them all?