My first pc build

Budget: 2800 US Dollars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite, Warzone, Apex Legends, Rocket League, Youtube, Twitch,

Other details (Here is the link to what I chose on pc part picker https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bwQFcT I'm upgrading form a ps4, and a benq 75 hz monitor. Looking to buy somewhre in the next 2-5 months. I want to play at 240 fps 1080p for fortnite 144 hz for warzone and 144hz for apex, the other games don't matter. 

Edited by Sheymin

17 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Looking to buy somewhre in the next 2-5 months

Then make the parts list in the next 2-5 months. New CPUs are coming out from both sides, tomorrow for Intel, sometime in like a month for AMD, and you can either get a real good deal for last gen stuff or get the latest and greatest.

Also don't pay almost $1000 for a 3060, wait till you get a card at MSRP, or if you will buy scalped, 3060Tis cost the same amount on eBay, or you might get a deal on a 3070.

Thanks for the adivice, i have to ask though, do you think the parts I have selected are sufficient, or incompetent, can you give feedback on that?

Budget (including currency): 2800 US Dollars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite, Warzone, Rocket League, Brawlhalla, Twitch, Youtube, 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'm stuck between two builds, either intel and amd. The amd pc build is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jFznZZ. While the intel pc build is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F93cW3. i'm stuck between the two and don't really know the difference. i'm also open to upgrades on things like case fans, memory, etc. I also need a good keyboard and mouse, nothing that crazy. I'm upgrading from a ps4 and 75hz monitor. Looking to buy anywhere from now to whenever. hopefully someone can inform me on the market changes also. Wanna play at 1080p and 240fps. Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/swGB8J

Overpriced rgb garbage has been thrown away and swapped for better value parts, also pretty sure you can get a 3060ti for 800$

5900x is abit overkill so consider swapping for a 5800x and upgrading gpu to a 3070

Upgraded rams to 32gb cause yea streaming and vid editing is gonna consume quite abit of ram, tridentz neos cause optimized for amd and also will overclock very well which i do suggest to increase cpu performance, just set 3800, maybe some minor tweaks, and forget

Swapped the overpriced u12s for a fuma 2

Ditched windows liscense cause paying full rpice for a crummy os that spys on you is not a good idea, get a key from a reseller from sites like scdkey or ebay, scdkey is more expensive than ebay at ~20$ but the key should have a high chance of working and is not a random key, ebay you can get keys for like 3$ but they are random

Ditched ll rgb fans cause trash, price of a noctua but inferior performance to a noctua

Swapped the lancool for a p400a cause cheaper and fsk fans are cheaper than whatever fans lianli uses

Ditched all the storage for a 2tb rocket 4.0 ssd so for vid editing its gonna help with loading times not to mention large file transfers

hey sheymin,

hope you're having a great day. so i've changed a few things with the intel build while still letting you have rgb in the case.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fkkvgt

changes:

cpu: the 10700k supersedes the 9700k and is faster for 20 bucks extra.

cpu cooler: stays the same, you can change it to a more beefy one like the nh-d15s if you're planning on overclocking your cpu to the max. i took away the thermal paste because the cpu cooler comes with a tube of thermal paste.

motherboard: since i changed the cpu to 10th gen, the socket is different now. i chose the z490 tomahawk because generally the tomahawks have pretty good vrms. also cheaper woohoo

memory: i changed the memory to the corsair vengeance lpx since its significantly cheaper than the one that you chose. same speed and cas latency.

video card: i didnt touch the gpu but as randomtechyboi said, you can upgrade your gpu to a 3070 or 3060ti.

case: didn't change anything here. great case choice!

psu: bumped down the psu wattage from 850w to 750w. you don't need a 850w supply and the 750w is on sale as of writing this.

os: get an activation key from a reseller. it's like 20 dollars and you can use that extra money on peripherals or on a better gpu.

case fans: no change since im assuming you want rgb

for the monitor and headphones i didnt change anything but really make sure to do your research since i haven't done much research into it. just remember that you'll be staring at your screen and wearing your headphones all day.

best of luck 🙂

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Overpriced rgb garbage has been thrown away and swapped for better value parts, also pretty sure you can get a 3060ti for 800$

If you did end up with a card at 3060 Ti levels or higher I would recommend just going with a 144Hz+ 1440p monitor. You'll be paying roughly the same price for one and it will look much nicer since 1080p at 25"+ looks absolutely terrible. I switched from a 280Hz 1080p to this ASUS 1440p 165Hz and have not looked back. 

Thanks for the feedback, although I have some minor questions, i won't really be video editing just mainly streaming should I keep the storage and ram u advised? Also I want to play at 240 fps at 1080p on fortnite and rocket league should I keep the monitor or upgrade. Also do you know where to get a 3060? I'm also worried about building im not very experienced and want the process to go as easy as possible, with the case, and fan configurations, power supply cords, and etc, any advice on that? Thanks always!

9 minutes ago, Sheymin said:

Thanks for the feedback, although I have some minor questions, i won't really be video editing just mainly streaming should I keep the storage and ram u advised? Also I want to play at 240 fps at 1080p on fortnite and rocket league should I keep the monitor or upgrade. Also do you know where to get a 3060? I'm also worried about building im not very experienced and want the process to go as easy as possible, with the case, and fan configurations, power supply cords, and etc, any advice on that? Thanks always!

a problem I just noticed is that you were recommended to buy the 10700k, but 12th gen just released, I would highly suggest getting something like this instead

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Finnegan16/saved/LXqDZL

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

14 hours ago, tuckerteaman said:

hey sheymin,

hope you're having a great day. so i've changed a few things with the intel build while still letting you have rgb in the case.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fkkvgt

changes:

cpu: the 10700k supersedes the 9700k and is faster for 20 bucks extra.

cpu cooler: stays the same, you can change it to a more beefy one like the nh-d15s if you're planning on overclocking your cpu to the max. i took away the thermal paste because the cpu cooler comes with a tube of thermal paste.

motherboard: since i changed the cpu to 10th gen, the socket is different now. i chose the z490 tomahawk because generally the tomahawks have pretty good vrms. also cheaper woohoo

memory: i changed the memory to the corsair vengeance lpx since its significantly cheaper than the one that you chose. same speed and cas latency.

video card: i didnt touch the gpu but as randomtechyboi said, you can upgrade your gpu to a 3070 or 3060ti.

case: didn't change anything here. great case choice!

psu: bumped down the psu wattage from 850w to 750w. you don't need a 850w supply and the 750w is on sale as of writing this.

os: get an activation key from a reseller. it's like 20 dollars and you can use that extra money on peripherals or on a better gpu.

case fans: no change since im assuming you want rgb

for the monitor and headphones i didnt change anything but really make sure to do your research since i haven't done much research into it. just remember that you'll be staring at your screen and wearing your headphones all day.

best of luck 🙂

14 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/swGB8J

5900x is abit overkill so consider swapping for a 5800x and upgrading gpu to a 3070

Upgraded rams to 32gb cause yea streaming and vid editing is gonna consume quite abit of ram, tridentz neos cause optimized for amd and also will overclock very well which i do suggest to increase cpu performance, just set 3800, maybe some minor tweaks, and forget

Swapped the overpriced u12s for a fuma 2

Ditched windows liscense cause paying full rpice for a crummy os that spys on you is not a good idea, get a key from a reseller from sites like scdkey or ebay, scdkey is more expensive than ebay at ~20$ but the key should have a high chance of working and is not a random key, ebay you can get keys for like 3$ but they are random

Ditched ll rgb fans cause trash, price of a noctua but inferior performance to a noctua

Swapped the lancool for a p400a cause cheaper and fsk fans are cheaper than whatever fans lianli uses

Ditched all the storage for a 2tb rocket 4.0 ssd so for vid editing its gonna help with loading times not to mention large file transfers

11 hours ago, Sheymin said:

Keep the ram but you can save around 60$ if you get cheaper gen3 ssd, maybe kingston a2000 or crucial p5

Gpu wise idk ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

Maybe look on ebay or if you are fast enough, on nvidia site

On 11/5/2021 at 11:52 AM, yesyes said:

a problem I just noticed is that you were recommended to buy the 10700k, but 12th gen just released, I would highly suggest getting something like this instead

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Finnegan16/saved/LXqDZL

ahh yeah you're right, that completely slipped my mind. i recommended the 10700k since it was just a gen up for a little bit extra and i didn't think the 11700k was really necessary. since the OP decided to go with a ryzen build it doesn't really matter, but definitely 12th gen is a great choice if you can get your hands on one.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:40 PM, Sheymin said:

the build that i provided should definitely be able to run those games at the fps that you want. the storage i didn't change since the sn550 is a solid ssd and a barracuda hdd is adequate. any ddr4 ram over 3000Mhz will do. typically for gaming 16gb is the go to just make sure to buy 2 sticks of ram that add up to what you want (e.g. 8x2) for dual channel. in terms of finding a gpu, watch out for black friday since some gpus may go in stock in stores at MSRP at that time. you can call stores like your local computer retailer like microcenter to see if they have a 3060 in stock, since finding a gpu online is almost impossible. for the case, just look up cases that have great cable management systems in them with relatively good airflow. a fully modular psu should make things more streamlined as well. for fan configurations, 1 in the front as intake and 1 in the back as an exhaust should do. i would also choose an atx motherboard since it's bigger and not as compact so you can clearly see where each wire goes where, etc.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask them 🙂

Due to the information everyone has provided i'm actually somewhat coherent to what I need.But I have one issue, building the pc myself. I have watched some pc build guides and I'm not too behind I have just problems with the cords and fan configurations (push/pull, pcie, cpu. psu cords etc.) thats really the only things that trip me up. any adivce on how to get a better comprehension, or any in depth videos? Thanks!

15 hours ago, tuckerteaman said:

the build that i provided should definitely be able to run those games at the fps that you want. the storage i didn't change since the sn550 is a solid ssd and a barracuda hdd is adequate. any ddr4 ram over 3000Mhz will do. typically for gaming 16gb is the go to just make sure to buy 2 sticks of ram that add up to what you want (e.g. 8x2) for dual channel. in terms of finding a gpu, watch out for black friday since some gpus may go in stock in stores at MSRP at that time. you can call stores like your local computer retailer like microcenter to see if they have a 3060 in stock, since finding a gpu online is almost impossible. for the case, just look up cases that have great cable management systems in them with relatively good airflow. a fully modular psu should make things more streamlined as well. for fan configurations, 1 in the front as intake and 1 in the back as an exhaust should do. i would also choose an atx motherboard since it's bigger and not as compact so you can clearly see where each wire goes where, etc.

Due to the information everyone has provided i'm actually somewhat coherent to what I need.But I have one issue, building the pc myself. I have watched some pc build guides and I'm not too behind I have just problems with the cords and fan configurations (push/pull, pcie, cpu. psu cords etc.) thats really the only things that trip me up. any adivce on how to get a better comprehension, or any in depth videos? Thanks!

one more question, this is the build I have came to and want a final review https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sN7Xgt. i'm very confident about, just wondering is the cpu cooler good, i really dont want to waste money on a good cpu and it die because of the cooler. Also any tips you have for a first time pc builder. Thanks for this whole conversation!

3 hours ago, Sheymin said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MYOpFONCU

😛

The cords from the PSU and the case are named and the mainboard manuals are usually decent, they should also tell you when you have to be careful and what direction you have to put things in, if you can put it in wrong. It should be clear, imho, but if you're not sure, you can still ask someone.

The only thing I once messed up was when the case had the stand offs pre-screwed but not at the form factor of my mainboard, but it didn't break anything thankfully.

Fans: The "basic configuration": Front fans intake, rear fan exhausts. CPU air cooler "pulls" air from front to rear. In other words: one fan pushes air into the cooler, and another one pulls it. The NH-D15 has a fan in the center (because it's so large), so I guess this one does a bit of both. I would just do the recommended setup.

1 minute ago, slowy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MYOpFONCU

😛

The cords from the PSU and the case are named and the mainboard manuals are usually decent, they should also tell you when you have to be careful and what direction you have to put things in, if you can put it in wrong. It should be clear, imho, but if you're not sure, you can still ask someone.

The only thing I once messed up was when the case had the stand offs pre-screwed but not at the form factor of my mainboard, but it didn't break anything thankfully.

Fans: The "basic configuration": Front fans intake, rear fan exhausts. CPU air cooler "pulls" air from front to rear. In other words: one fan pushes air into the cooler, and another one pulls it. The NH-D15 has a fan in the center (because it's so large), so I guess this one does a bit of both. I would just do the recommended setup.

Thanks for the information, when u say front, and rear fan is there a specific orientation or is it dependent on how you  mount the fans and cpu cooler? 

7 hours ago, Sheymin said:

Thanks for the information, when u say front, and rear fan is there a specific orientation or is it dependent on how you  mount the fans and cpu cooler? 

Ah I wasn't clear: Front means front of the case. Yes it depends on how you mount the fans, so when you add a fan to the front of the case, it either moves fresh air into the case, or hot air out of the case - I think the rule was "logo on the top means there goes air in", but I'm not sure. Just try to move the fresh air from front to back, so the air flows in one direction, and you'll be fine. CPU the same: It doesn't make sense to move fresh air to the CPU, and the CPU "pushes" the fresh air back.

If you want to add more fans (more than for instance three front and one rear), the best setup is most likely to add them at the top of the case to move hot air out.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:58 AM, tuckerteaman said:

ahh yeah you're right, that completely slipped my mind. i recommended the 10700k since it was just a gen up for a little bit extra and i didn't think the 11700k was really necessary. since the OP decided to go with a ryzen build it doesn't really matter, but definitely 12th gen is a great choice if you can get your hands on one.

understood, and agreed

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

8 hours ago, slowy said:

Ah I wasn't clear: Front means front of the case. Yes it depends on how you mount the fans, so when you add a fan to the front of the case, it either moves fresh air into the case, or hot air out of the case - I think the rule was "logo on the top means there goes air in", but I'm not sure. Just try to move the fresh air from front to back, so the air flows in one direction, and you'll be fine. CPU the same: It doesn't make sense to move fresh air to the CPU, and the CPU "pushes" the fresh air back.

If you want to add more fans (more than for instance three front and one rear), the best setup is most likely to add them at the top of the case to move hot air out.

Alright last question, this is the build I plan on going with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sN7Xgt. At the very bottom it says something about my motherboard needing a bios upgrade prior to cpu installation, and might not be compatible with my cpu. is that something to worry about or is that on the realm of overclocking which I already prepared to do? Thanks!

On 11/7/2021 at 1:16 AM, tuckerteaman said:

Alright last question, this is the build I plan on going with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sN7Xgt . At the very bottom it says something about my motherboard needing a bios upgrade prior to cpu installation, and might not be compatible with my cpu. is that something to worry about or is that on the realm of overclocking which I already prepared to do? Thanks!

8 hours ago, slowy said:

For my cpu cooler are there any alternatives fan you reccomemend but in the black color to match the color scheme?

1 hour ago, Sheymin said:

Alright last question, this is the build I plan on going with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sN7Xgt . At the very bottom it says something about my motherboard needing a bios upgrade prior to cpu installation, and might not be compatible with my cpu. is that something to worry about or is that on the realm of overclocking which I already prepared to do? Thanks!

your cpu should be compatible with the mobo that you picked out according to this: 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550-GAMING-CARBON-WIFI.html#support-main-block-qvl

if it doesn't work, then you can always just flash the bios: