First quadro then geforce

mimimi

Hi there,

Since someone stole my laptop last week I am looking into building a desktop PC. This is my first PC build so I don't have anything to build off, so I don't have a GPU... Since the only gpu that are reasonable priced are quadro cards I am thinking of first buying a quadro and later a geforce. A quadro is also nice since I would also like to use my PC as a workstation(CAD but also some ML) for some occasional gaming, mostly sim racing. Would it be possible to integrate a quadro and a geforce or radeon card into the same system. Not necessarily using them simultaneously, however that would be nice. For example something like a quadro P2000 combined with a RTX 30 series is what I am thinking of.

Thanks in advance!

The quadro P2000 has less cuda cores than a GTX 1060 3GB, and checking eBay it seems the price is definitely not cheap.

Which quadros are you comparing to which geforce cards exactly? how much cheaper are you seeing the quadros?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Welcome to the forums!

First, what's your exact budget? 

You can't combine cards of different series, drivers are eugh. 

Plus you'd get more performance for CAD from a 30 series card than a P2000.

I'd say get a Radeon pro w6600, they are $500, in stock and are between 3060ti/3070 in gaming and are better for CAD.

image.thumb.png.2a76ea5ec4b5bc889a414980dd3567a1.png

I am basing my choice on this chart from 2018 where linus compares these graphics cards for 3D modeling & design. Here you can see that a P2000 performs almost 3x to a GTX1060. I can get a P2000 for about 300 euro or less. Also the radeon pro W6600 card is costs 770 euro for me and what are you basing the performance compared to a 3060ti/3070 on? When I am looking at GPU benchmarks it performs not even close to a 3060ti/3070. My budget would be about 2000 euro which I am not going to spend on GPU's which cost 2x msrp.

If you don't strictly need a video output (ie b/c you have an APU) you may want to consider a second hand Tesla.

It is a rather convoluted solution though.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Quadro and GeForce in the same system is a no-go as the drivers conflict: 

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2280/~/can-i-use-a-geforce-and-quadro-card-in-the-same-system%3F#:~:text=We recommend against using GeForce and Quadro cards,and Quadro cards are intended for professional usage).

Quadro and Radeon would likely have a better outcome. That said, the software you use with the Quadro will need to support selecting a target GPU for acceleration.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

8 minutes ago, krakek said:

If you don't strictly need a video output (ie b/c you have an APU) you may want to consider a second hand Tesla.

It is a rather convoluted solution though.

Could you explain? I have heard tesla a few times, but what are they? 

1 minute ago, mimimi said:

Could you explain? I have heard tesla a few times, but what are they? 

GPUs for servers.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

14 minutes ago, krakek said:

GPUs for servers.

At 5:00 this guy is saying that people are able to buy a cheap quadro card and make a geforce card act like an expensive quadro card?

21 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!

First, what's your exact budget? 

You can't combine cards of different series, drivers are eugh. 

Plus you'd get more performance for CAD from a 30 series card than a P2000.

I'd say get a Radeon pro w6600, they are $500, in stock and are between 3060ti/3070 in gaming and are better for CAD.

This radeon pro w6600 is looking like a pretty good card for my application. Except for me it's 757 euro's. Could you please show me where you base "are between 3060ti/3070 in gaming" on.

Another possibility would be a pro w5700 or wx 8200 for 480 euro's. What do you think?