Question about SAS Card/ Windows 10 RAID Setup Strangeness

LLCooLM495
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
4 minutes ago, LLCooLM495 said:

Right on, thanks!  It's telling me insufficient capacity, which seems strange considering I have no files on it at the moment.  Maybe there really is just some kind of issue with the drive that HW Info wasn't able to pick up?

Try the Reset-PhysicalDisk command I edited in to my post. There's most likely some metadata sitting at the front of the disk that needs to be wiped and that doesn't happen when you delete partitions.

If that doesn't work then go in to diskpart, select the disk, Clean command it, exit diskpart run the Reset-PhysicalDisk again and it should change to CanPool True.

TL;DR:  SAS attached SATA SSDs won't allow one of the drives into a storage pool, but said drive is 100% functional as its own partition 

Hey guys.  I got hold of an LSI SAS 9211-8i and am currently using it to power 4 identical SATA SSDs in my rig.  It's working perfectly, but while setting up RAID 0 via Windows Storage Spaces, one of the SSDs refused to be added into the pool.  I tried a different identical SSD in place of that one with the same result.  Moving drives around to different cables also didn't change anything.  That being said, the drive that didn't cooperate in being added to the storage pool is functioning perfectly as its own partition, and HW Info shows that all 4 drives are healthy.  I also tried a different SAS - SATA cable, and the 2nd output from the SAS card, with no changes.  Its not a huge deal really, and it'd be a bit fiddly to try to reconfigure the pool again since I've already gone and installed games onto the array, but if anyone can think of any reason that it wouldn't allow the 4th drive to be added to the pool, I'll probably try going about fixing it.  If it matters, the drives are all Micron 256gb C400 SSDs (mtfddak256mam-1k1), all on the same firmware revision.  I attached pics of disk manager and the initial storage pool setup screen, in case any of the other drives would possibly be screwing with it/ in case something looks off in the storage pool setup.  Those 4 SSDs are the only thing attached VIA the SAS card, the rest are all using the motherboard's SATA headers, plus an M.2.  One thing I HAVE considered is that it's because I didn't have above 4G decoding enabled at the time, but I am hesitant to go uninstall all the games from the array and try it again now that I've enabled it, unless someone thinks that may fix it.   Anyways, sorry for the long message, just wanted to try to cover everything I could say about what I know so far. This is my first time messing around with SAS (or RAID, for that matter), so hopefully it'll just be something minor I overlooked.  Thanks! 

drives.png

storage pool.png

CPU: Intel Core i7 6950x @ 4.2GHz Custom Loop: EKWB Supremacy EVO MX, XSPC 360EX, EKWB 140 CE, Corsair 280mm, '70 Camaro rad, XSPC D5 Vario Pump, EK X3 250 res, Primochill Advanced LRT Crystal Clear (7/16" x 5/8"), XSPC Compression Fittings, Distilled Water and Primochill Utopia GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC RAM: 48gb SK Hynix 2400mhz MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB M.2, 4TB Toshiba X300, 2x 1TB Toshiba P300, 1TB WD Skorpion, 1TB Seagate Apple HDD, 750gb WD Black, 4x Micron C400 256gb Monitors: Acer Predator X34P; LG 29UM58; Dell 2405FPW Keyboards: 1987 IBM Model M; Razer Deathstalker Mouse: Razer Taipan (Black) Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Speed (Large) Headphones: Meze 99 Classics    

Run this PowerShell command and it should tell you why

Get-PhysicalDisk | Format-Table FriendlyName,MediaType,Size,CanPool,CannotPoolReason

Also the below PowerShell command is the most reliable to fix such a problem

Reset-PhysicalDisk

Just make sure you specify the correct disk, lookup this command and how to use it first so you don't blow away data on a disk you didn't want to

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Run this PowerShell command and it should tell you why

Get-PhysicalDisk | Format-Table FriendlyName,MediaType,Size,CanPool,CannotPoolReason

Right on, thanks!  It's telling me insufficient capacity, which seems strange considering I have no files on it at the moment.  Maybe there really is just some kind of issue with the drive that HW Info wasn't able to pick up? 

powershell.png

CPU: Intel Core i7 6950x @ 4.2GHz Custom Loop: EKWB Supremacy EVO MX, XSPC 360EX, EKWB 140 CE, Corsair 280mm, '70 Camaro rad, XSPC D5 Vario Pump, EK X3 250 res, Primochill Advanced LRT Crystal Clear (7/16" x 5/8"), XSPC Compression Fittings, Distilled Water and Primochill Utopia GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC RAM: 48gb SK Hynix 2400mhz MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB M.2, 4TB Toshiba X300, 2x 1TB Toshiba P300, 1TB WD Skorpion, 1TB Seagate Apple HDD, 750gb WD Black, 4x Micron C400 256gb Monitors: Acer Predator X34P; LG 29UM58; Dell 2405FPW Keyboards: 1987 IBM Model M; Razer Deathstalker Mouse: Razer Taipan (Black) Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Speed (Large) Headphones: Meze 99 Classics    

4 minutes ago, LLCooLM495 said:

Try the Reset-PhysicalDisk command I edited in to my post. There's most likely some metadata sitting at the front of the disk that needs to be wiped and that doesn't happen when you delete partitions.

If that doesn't work then go in to diskpart, select the disk, Clean command it, exit diskpart run the Reset-PhysicalDisk again and it should change to CanPool True.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Alright, I'll start moving the games off the pool real quick so I don't have to reinstall them later, then go ahead and try that 👍

23 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Thank you so much!  I reset the disk via UniqueID, now it's saying it can indeed be pooled!  Appreciate it, thanks a ton for the help!