Has anyone used EL tape before?

adamdidthis

If you don't know what I mean it's this stuff http://shopping.nets...=2&category=183. Just wondering if anyone has put it in a mod before?

That's awesome, didn't know something like this existed, and seems pretty simple not very different from a LED strip, 12V DC input, positive and negative solder leads. Seems more like a product to be placed along the edge of a case or to be used like a light up racing strips on a case. 

Imagine you had that specifically painted strips on your house and come Christmas, oh I'll just plug that in, all done!  :)

That is one awesome product.

-snip-

i don't think this is EL wire/tape. edit: watched the video, it really is possible

i haven't used it by myself (or even seen it in real life) but wikipedia has great info about the working of EL-wire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescent_wire

also, i guess it just does not give enough light to luminate parts (= indirect lumination) but i think it would be better to look at it directly. so basically the inverse of what you would want to do with an LED strip

Edited by darkspeedy26

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

What I want to use it for is to make the blue dots in the floor in portal, Like this:

portal2.200.04.lg.jpg

Check sparkfun for some parts they have a large selection.. I have about 10 meters of different colors and he's right, they dont provide enough illumination.. But can be bent easily and does look cool..

oh yeah, if you don't like EL-strips or EL-wires, there are EL-pads too

check out this store (i don't think they will ship that far, but you could just look at the pictures ;)http://iprototype.be/products/components/el

but yeah, sparkfun and some others should have it too

also, maybe for inspiration, search EL wire and tape in google pictures

Edited by darkspeedy26

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

All the EL stuff is realöly cool when you want to make the actual light source visible. It's not very well suited for using as lighting in your case though, as it doesn't make a lot of light around it so to say, it only glows on it's own, doesn't light up the area if you get my drift. So if you are going to put it somewhere visible, yes it will work awesomely, but if the tape won't be visible, use normal LEDs instead

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430