Threads in CPUs

Hi, I'm trying to choose a cpu for a pc build in the future. I was wondering, if a cpu has more threads than cores, would it perform better than a cpu with the same amount of threads and cores?

Given that the cores are equal in performance and the workload is multithreaded, more cores will beat more threads (i.e. 8700k vs 9700k). Given the same number of cores and same relative core performance, the CPU with more threads will win if the workload is multithreaded. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Given that the cores are equal in performance and the workload is multithreaded, more cores will beat more threads (i.e. 8700k vs 9700k). Given the same number of cores and same relative core performance, the CPU with more threads will win if the workload is multithreaded. 

How about for example gaming/VR gaming, would this workload prefer cores or threads?

Just now, tempek534 said:

How about for example gaming/VR gaming, would this workload prefer cores or threads?

What you should worry about is single core performance and price first. Gaming, and especially VR games, can't utilize many cores, so you want to find the best single thread performance for your price point. A 6 core CPU is more than what you'll need, and most 6 core CPUs that are worth buying now have 12 threads. 

If this was a workstation, it might be a bit different, but you want to judge it based off the actual CPUs themselves, not just off of how many cores and how many threads they have.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What you should worry about is single core performance and price first. Gaming, and especially VR games, can't utilize many cores, so you want to find the best single thread performance for your price point. A 6 core CPU is more than what you'll need, and most 6 core CPUs that are worth buying now have 12 threads. 

If this was a workstation, it might be a bit different, but you want to judge it based off the actual CPUs themselves, not just off of how many cores and how many threads they have.

Understood. Thank you for your reply