Minecraft Server Requirements?

Bani

Hello!

I am thinking about building a server to run minecraft with some of my buddies, but we've hit a roadblock.

The thing is that although we know a bit about pc's we have no idea what specs are required for a minecraft server.

Right now we plan on the server being able to have around 10 players online with no lag, but if that's way below what we want to spend we may upgrade to 20 players.

So my question is what specs would you recommend for a minecraft server for 10 people?

Oh and btw we won't be running any highly demanding mods if any at all. Maybe some light plugins.

I do also have 2x4 DDR4 2666 MHz sticks just collecting dust so if that's enough then i'll just use one or both. 

What other spare parts do you have? It probably doesn't take a lot if you don't plan on modding it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

What other spare parts do you have? It probably doesn't take a lot if you don't plan on modding it

Don't really have anything else. Maybe a couple fans but in a server designed to run a minecraft server i don't see thermals as a problem at all.

11 minutes ago, Bani said:

Don't really have anything else. Maybe a couple fans but in a server designed to run a minecraft server i don't see thermals as a problem at all.

Why not just run the server on someone's PC, don't think you need a dedicated PC to run the server

I do that when I'm playing with my friends

9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Why not just run the server on someone's PC, don't think you need a dedicated PC to run the server

I do that when I'm playing with my friends

Yeah i've thought about that, but that require my pc to be up at all times or that we only play when i'm on. With the power intake of my pc and my mothers stance on power consumption that isn't a possibility right now unfortunately. Alternatively i could just have the server running some of the time, but then my friends are dependent on me.

2 minutes ago, Bani said:

Yeah i've thought about that, but that require my pc to be up at all times or that we only play when i'm on. With the power intake of my pc and my mothers stance on power consumption that isn't a possibility right now unfortunately. Alternatively i could just have the server running some of the time, but then my friends are dependent on me.

you do know that if you build a dedicated server, you'll need to power it as well yes?

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you do know that if you build a dedicated server, you'll need to power it as well yes?

Yes, but a "weak" server use a lot less power than my pc. And yes i do know that my pc wont be running at 100% power while idle with a server.

4 minutes ago, Bani said:

Yes, but a "weak" server use a lot less power than my pc. And yes i do know that my pc wont be running at 100% power while idle with a server.

unless it's a raspberry pi, that's not the case

high end pc idles, if not the same, only slightly more than lower end pc

and an idle PC doesnt really contribute much to your power bill, not as much as you would think

from my experience, an idling pc consumes from 50-70W from the wall (single GPU system), that's 0.07*24*30 = 50.5kWh a month

assuming it's 12cents per kwh, it's $6 a month

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

unless it's a raspberry pi, that's not the case

high end pc idles, if not the same, only slightly more than lower end pc

and an idle PC doesnt really contribute much to your power bill, not as much as you would think

from my experience, an idling pc consumes from 50-70W (single GPU system), that's 0.07*24*30 = 50.5kWh a month

assuming it's 12cents per kwh, it's $6 a month

I see, but my biggest "problem" with that is, as i said earlier, my mother. She won't like my pc running idle, so we would have the server at one of my friends house. 

It's also just for the fun of building it and saying "HEY! we build a server : )"

we would have the server at one of my friends house

same question, why don't he just run the server on his PC?

It's also just for the fun of building it and saying "HEY! we build a server : )"

i mean, if you insist, something like an i5 10400 (non-F, so you save on need for dGPU) would pretty much be enough

i'd say you would benefit from having 16gb RAM, but since you already have 2x4GB, just try that out first and if it's not enough you can always upgrade later

i tried running MC server (modded quite heavily) on my 3900x, the RAM usage is quite high actually, exceeding 12GB, but not too sure about unmodded since i nvr experienced that

alternatively, you may try running MC server on a raspberry pi, though im not too sure what it is capable of handling and whether if it can fulfill your needs

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i mean, if you insist, something like an i5 10400 (non-F, so you save on need for dGPU) would pretty much be enough

i'd say you would benefit from having 16gb RAM, but since you already have 2x4GB, just try that out first and if it's not enough you can always upgrade later

i tried running MC server (modded quite heavily) on my 3900x, the RAM usage is quite high actually, exceeding 12GB, but not too sure about unmodded since i nvr experienced that

alternatively, you may try running MC server on a raspberry pi, though im not too sure what it is capable of handling and whether if it can fulfill your needs

Thanks i'll look into that.

From what i've heard a couple gb of ram should be enough for a nonmodded server so yeah ill try those first.