Business PC Build

SomethingEls

Budget (including currency): Open to suggestions - would rather have a solution that works

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly browser based work (Chrome or Edge). No gaming.

Other details

Probably the most boring post on here... but... here goes.

I want to make the switch from buying very overpriced (at least in South Africa), underperforming off-the-shell (Dell, HP, Asus) desktops for our company to building our own in-house. We mostly use cloud based solutions - so the only real requirements are that it must be SNAPPY when it comes to chrome / edge. The PC's won't be used for gaming at all - we do however work in the film industry so some of the desktops might ON OCCASION be used to browse through client footage. No editing though.

My case preference is the be quiet! Silent Base 601 Window Mid-Tower ATX Case (black).

Any motherboard, CPU etc recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Excellent idea!

What's your internet connection like? Your ping/latency and the upload/download speeds?

7 minutes ago, whispous said:

Excellent idea!

What's your internet connection like? Your ping/latency and the upload/download speeds?

We're currently using a 200/200mbps FTTB product. Our average ping is 5ms - and latency to European based servers are between 120 - 170ms.

1 hour ago, SomethingEls said:

SNAPPY when it comes to chrome / edge

SSD and enough memory. That's all it needs for chrome.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I mean a used dell,hp,... with a core i5 2500 + 16gb of ram and a ssd would get you there no problem. You don't need much to have a good browsing experience.

Something like this makes sense to me. If you want to buy new, as I imagine is useful when wanting a bunch of PC's and also ease of maintenance, then I'd opt for something like this. A good CPU that'll handle file downloads and stuff fast enough. You can go i3, if you want to spend less, it's just that I find myself getting annoyed quite easily by these loading times at work. And so does probably every other employee. Just a simple Motherboard with an NVMe slot.

16GB of Ram will be enough, I don't know if you'll be able to use them at full speed with intel motherboards and overclocking and stuff, but that wont matter that much in your use case.

You can go for cheaper cases, as they also are enough for business pc's and they wont run very hot. And still easy to build in, to service and quiet.

For PSU's just get a solid reviewed unit from a reputable brand with 500w 80+ bronze rating or something. I put in the cheapest corsair PSU on pcpartpicker but maybe you can find new units somewhere for 30$.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7Tykht

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($185.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B560M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($69.51 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-Force Zeus 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL20 Memory  ($48.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P5 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($77.59 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $477.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-21 04:55 EDT-0400