Steam Library storage upgrade?

Winter Knight
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

If you just need the space, get a large secondary drive. Personally I'd go for a SATA SSD. It's fairly fast and current games often don't benefit too much being run from NVMe. This might change with Direct Storage in the future, but it's probably going to be a few years before that starts to matter.

Currently I have two old laptop HDDs in RAID 0 for my steam libraries, but recently I got some money that I really want to spend on it.

I play a lot of games at once (I know, I know, not very eficient, but I never really know what to play, so I play a little of everything) and I am getting tired of moving games from the HDDs to my SSD.

My motherboard have 4 regular SATA ports and a M.2 SATA port (unused), alongside a M.2 NVME PCIE 3.0.

My current dilemma is:

1) Buy a 1TB M.2 SATA drive (WD Blue) and use it as a sort of "kinda playing, kinda not" drive for games, keep the C: for the hot stuff and the HDDs for mass storage;
2) Buy a relatively cheap 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA drive (Crucial MX500) and get over it;

3) Buy a 2TB M.2 SATA drive (WD Blue), a little more expensive than 1), but it is a drop in upgrade with no issues;

4) Save more and get a 2TB NVME storage in the near future as a C: upgrade;

5) Don't buy anything because this would be a stupid upgrade;

I really don't know what to do, can someone help me?

Edited by Autumn Knight
(unused)

If you just need the space, get a large secondary drive. Personally I'd go for a SATA SSD. It's fairly fast and current games often don't benefit too much being run from NVMe. This might change with Direct Storage in the future, but it's probably going to be a few years before that starts to matter.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Autumn Knight said:

Currently I have two old laptop HDDs in RAID 0 for my steam libraries, but recently I got some money that I really want to spend on it.

well whats the config on that, and the total capacity after formatting and overheads? If you want the space im really leaning for Option 2 and 4, with 2 being reserved for those older title that dont need the read and write speed to perform without texture pop ins.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

18 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

17 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

well whats the config on that, and the total capacity after formatting and overheads? If you want the space im really leaning for Option 2 and 4, with 2 being reserved for those older title that dont need the read and write speed to perform without texture pop ins.

Thank you guys, I think I decided.
Sorryclaire: I don't think I understood your question. I have 3 HDDs in my computer, two 1 TB drives and one 700 Gb drive. The 700 GB HDD is currently for archives and personal documents, the 1 TB drives are in a RAID 0 configuration.
Regarding 2 and 4, 2 is very atractive for the price, but I am not sure if it is worth it because the of future games. 3 Is interesting because there is a M.2 SATA slot empty in my motherboard and it is relatively inexpensive, I think I will go with that.