Will the GPU throttle due to high hotspot temp

pcloverbutnomoney

So I got 2080 super laptop and it is good. But for few days after getting it back from service center (motherboard change due to battery issue) I see the GPU throttles during gameplay. 

So I used the HwInfo and started to monitor temps along with the MSI Afterburner OSD. In OSD it doesn't show thermal throttle or anything during those few seconds where my GPU clock speed drops to base of 1374Mhz but what I noticed with HwInfo is when this base clock throttle happen it lasts about 3 or 4 secs then moves >1800 Mhz. After 30 or 40 secs I saw the GPU Hotspot temp on HwInfo and it was 88C but the GPU and memory was around 80 C and I believe 88 is the throttle limit. So the hotspot temp was 88 for around 30 secs or so and then base clock throttling and then the hotspot temp immediately drops below 75 C and 3 secs later back to normal and then it is repeating the same.

My question is do you guys think Hotspot temp of 88 C is the problem for this throttling even though the core GPU temp is below 81 C? or could be something else? By the way CPU temps pretty good.

Hotspot temp throttling isn't the same as the throttling temp shown in MSI Afterburner.  The throttling temp shown is for the core average temp.

Hotspot follows some undisclosed undocumented rule.

I've been at 95C on the hotspot with 90C MSI afterburner throttle point without throttling, because core was 82C.

Also note that memory temp has its own throttle point also, again not available in MSI Afterburner.