Weird networking SQL errors when switching from public to private

Dujith

So in our small office we have a Windows 2016 server thats running a SQL database for our planning software.

I installed some new computers, added them to the domain via the azure cloud and all is working well.

Now the network showed at public so i switched it to private, after switching the sql connection throws up an error about being unable to connect.

Weird this is i still can see the 2016 server and all its shared folders.

But when i switch back to public the error is gone 馃槥

Any ideas in which direction to search, the "IT" company has no clue why this is. And since we are moving end of this year and ending their contract i doubt they are looking very hard.

I disabled and enabled the firewall on the clients and server. That did not work and i keep getting the unable to reach sql server message when on private network.

For now they are on public and everything works. Just weird....

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

Now the network showed at public so i switched it to private, after switching the sql connection throws up an error about being unable to connect.

Weird this is i still can see the 2016 server and all its shared folders.

But when i switch back to public the error is gone 馃槥

Make sure there is a Windows Firewall rule on the SQL server to allow inbound connections. The best method for this is to add a rule based on the SQL Server application executable rather than the default port of 1433.

Also use resource monitor or Wireshark to see what points the clients are trying to use when using the application and connecting to the server, could be other ports involved.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Make sure there is a Windows Firewall rule on the SQL server to allow inbound connections. The best method for this is to add a rule based on the SQL Server application executable rather than the default port of 1433.

I did disable the firewall on the server tho.

2 hours ago, Dujith said:

I disabled and enabled the firewall on the clients and server.

For some reason having the windows 10 client on public network works for now. I'll prob just let it be like this till we install all the stuff in the new building and get another IT company to sort this out.

14 minutes ago, Dujith said:

For some reason having the windows 10 client on public network works for now. I'll prob just let it be like this till we install all the stuff in the new building and get another IT company to sort this out.

Oh wait what? The Public/Private thing is only on the clients?

Just now, leadeater said:

Oh wait what? The Public/Private thing is only on the clients?

Yes

Just now, Dujith said:

Yes

That is very strange, wouldn't actually expect that to cause a problem like that at all since those network profiles are supposed to really only affect inbound traffic not outbound. I assume it's only a problem on these newer computers and not the older ones?

The network profile should also be Domain too, try restarting the NLA service on the clients.