why gpu cannot be flush with mobo

great, i'm sure that's very useful in some circumstances.

What's your point?

This layout isn't more common for a few reasons. I'm sure there are others, but these are some I came up with off the top of my head.

1. It isn't standard, so it only works with other custom solutions.

2. Only one PCIe slot can reasonably be used if it's on the edge of the board.

3. PCIe edge connectors are very uncommon, and thus more expensive.

4. PCIe riser cables can do this while taking up only slightly more space and being significantly more versatile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

On 10/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, BobVonBob said:

This layout isn't more common for a few reasons. I'm sure there are others, but these are some I came up with off the top of my head.

1. It isn't standard, so it only works with other custom solutions.

2. Only one PCIe slot can reasonably be used if it's on the edge of the board.

3. PCIe edge connectors are very uncommon, and thus more expensive.

4. PCIe riser cables can do this while taking up only slightly more space and being significantly more versatile.

1. well what is standard? every use it is standard this is a very good space saving and prevent GPU sagging and maybe future we have GPU tower fan

2. you're correct but looking at people who post their custom build only using 1 PCIe Slot beside you already said it correct way of using PCIe riser cables is for those capture card or rarely sound card using it for GPU will cause some latency

3. right now is uncommon but with GPU getting bigger and bigger placing GPU in other orientation is bound to happen

4. you can use PCIe riser cables but use it on capture card or sound card normal gamers only need 1 PCIe slot

other benefit of this setup is space saving,

you can put better cooling tower fan style or water cool AIO one blow to top and one blow to the side

showing your GPU and CPU at the same time. instead of the side of your GPU

no more worry about GPU sagging 

to save everyone's trouble this is the MOBO with edge PCIe  image.thumb.png.4b43055cfc4ca386b58bf57ee9998640.png

1 minute ago, Kalowbee said:

1. well what is standard? every use it is standard this is a very good space saving and prevent GPU sagging and maybe future we have GPU tower fan

2. you're correct but looking at people who post their custom build only using 1 PCIe Slot beside you already said it correct way of using PCIe riser cables is for those capture card or rarely sound card using it for GPU will cause some latency

3. right now is uncommon but with GPU getting bigger and bigger placing GPU in other orientation is bound to happen

4. you can use PCIe riser cables but use it on capture card or sound card normal gamers only need 1 PCIe slot

other benefit of this setup is space saving,

you can put better cooling tower fan style or water cool AIO one blow to top and one blow to the side

showing your GPU and CPU at the same time. instead of the side of your GPU

no more worry about GPU sagging 

to save everyone's trouble this is the MOBO with edge PCIe 

-snip-

It's not saving space, it's changing the direction of the space being used. So while it might be good for some applications like this all-in-one where thickness is important, it isn't right for all applications. Basically it's not going to become common unless consumers decide they don't want the current computer tower form factor.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11